• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

cleaning tank

hi at the moment my tank is 2 wk old got some humbugs shrimp i got alot of algi inside on my sand and glass so i got the water checkt its fine so i got fold to put some cleaning crabs in and phos ban/phosphate but can i clean the glass my self if so what can i use

If the tank is glass, a saltwater safe metal scraper gives the best results but avoid scraping around the silicone. If it is acrylic, then only use a scraper made for acrylics - NEVER use metal and replace the blade very often as little nicks will scratch the tank. NO chemicals, just manual labor. If you are keeping a shallow substrate and not trying to do a deep sand bed, vacuum off the top layer with a siphon as best you can and then start keeping the sand stirred. I stir mine rather vigorously when I do my water changes and keep the siphon close to the area of turbulence.

I wouldnt put any chemicals in there. Whats happening with the appearance of algae is part of the natural cycle. You are going to get cyano bacteria blooms and micro algae while the tank is breaking in biologically. This can take weeks to clear up but it is a good sign. I strongly suggest not messing with the cycle by introducing a chemical "helper". If you have the proper filtration (bio and mechanical) and arent introducing a ton of nutrients it will work itself out.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back