• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

clean up crew

Ryan Smith

Wonderpus
Registered
Sorry if this thread was made somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Where did you get your cleanup crew from? would you reccomend it? And snails vs crabs whats better for cleanin up? Is there a point in buying crabs, which octos seem to love?

i bought like 25 hermit crabs and about 10 snails to throw in my 40 gallon. I also have 2 serpent stars and a urhin and a cucumber. All those guys help with algae and all the left over food the octo leaves behind.

Thanks. Getting my figures for liveaquaria.com. For 20 turbos, 25 blue hermits, and 2 serpant stars, it costs $72.50 including shipping. I think thats good?

you can get hermit crabs for about 42 cents each at reefs2go.com and if you buy more the price keeps going down. you can also get turbo snails for about 1.09 and if you buy ten then it is about 60 cents each. Then you can buy 2 serpent stars for about $5.50 each. Thats all at reefs2go. I hope you know you cant put these guy in you tank until about a mont of cycling.

I posted about Reef2go in another thread. I have purchased from them in the past. They have the best prices. You just missed a huge snail sale. As bluespot said, the more you buy the less you pay. Check it out, you'd save 15-20 bucks.

http://www.reefs2go.com/

Is your tank set up yet? Remember go slow, don't add too much all at one time. Increase your bioload gradually. I am going to be following alond. Why not start a journal in "tank talk" and keep all your posts together. I am interested to see how you your tank develops and I am really excited for you too.

Thank you, ill have all of my stuff to start cycling in a month or less. SOOO excited how everything is moving along. All I need is the filter, water, sand and LR to start the cycle. Where is the best/cheapest place to buy LR? What kind of LR do I need for an indonesean octo?

edit* Are sponges good for clean up crews?

No, sponges are not part of the clean up crew. They can be somewhat problematic if they are embedded in LR (these are usually brown or tan and not the colorful ones you see for sale) because the often die off (in general sponges are not the easiest of animals to keep) and cause major spikes that are hard to get under control. It is a good idea to remove any of this type sponge with a brush before putting it in your tank. Decorative sponges can be added to an octo tank but need a mature tank to survive and are more of a reef forum discussion.

I encourage farmed LR over wild collected. Farmed LR can be every bit as attactive and provide full biological filtration without negative effects on our already endangered reefs. If you want wild collected LR, I would encourage you to find someone breaking down a reef and selling the rock from their tank. Purchasing rock currently in a cycled tank is often a good choice (farmed or wild collected) if the tank was maintained well (as I mentioned before, Craig's list or local reef clubs is the most likely source for this kind of rock and will be price effective for your efforts). Several licensed collectors farm LR in Florida (likely other areas as well but I am only familiar with a few of the ones in FL). You can surf some of the reef forums for locations but I am webmaster for www.sealifeinc.net so I will suggest looking there and then Googling on the name to see what others say about Ken's rock.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back