clams?

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by voltron, Aug 21, 2003.

1. voltron

voltron Blue Ring Registered

I noticed that my recent live rock is contaminated with LOTS of mussels...though i wonder how they survived the shipping :shock:

They´re normal mussels though, no funky colors or shapes. The size is about 2-3 inch and they´re holed throughout one 6-8lbs piece of LR. I count at least 10 pieces and they´re probably more of, in fact does the rock look like some sort of subway system :goofysca:

Are they good or bad for my tank? Is there some inhabitant that feed on them? Will my future octo maybe feed on them? Should i be worried? :bugout:

I kinda like it that my rock is really alive and that lots of stuff thrives in it giving the looong way the rock travelled (even if it turns out to be from the Mediterranean).

There are also lots of those weird looking tiny glass-like crabs that come out only at night in my LR, some 1cm long. I take it that these are good and scavenge dirt?

Cheers
    volt

2. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

Octos will eat mussels, you dont really have to be worried as they are filter feeders and feed on stuff like plankton.

3. voltron

voltron Blue Ring Registered

Ah thanks!

4. Melissa

Melissa Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

I would eat the mussels, steamed with some white wine, garlic and parsley. But I believe Joel and the others who say your octo will make short work of them with less fuss.

Melissa