• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

clams vs muscles?

The Sheik

Hatchling
Registered
So my octo loves crabs but I want to try to feed him something that is not so expensive such as clams and muscles. Whcih one is better for my octo "CLAMS OR MUSCLES" and how should i feed them to him???should i open it for him or should i just place it in the tank unopen???:shock:

Yes:wink:
All of the above are acceptable so experiment. Be sure to remove any uneaten flesh as it makes a smelly pollution problem if left to deterorate.

bluespotocto;146870 said:
I did clams because i saw there was very little meat in the mussels.

I just feed him a clam!! All I did was crack it open half way and put it in his tank!!! He came out in 2sec and now is feeding on it. All tho with the shell on he cant go in all the way in his den he is still half way in and the clam is outside.... :smile:

Not if he liked it:wink:. So far this has been what we have seen too. They seem to be really excited about the first one they are offered and then don't go after any more. Maya ate all of the clam she was carrying around but I don't remember if we offerred her another before she started brooding. I do remember that Octane(hummelincki), Beldar(Macrocpus Complex) and SueNami (briareus)only ate the first one and then wanted nothing more to do with them. Do try again with another though. So far KaySoh moves hers around on occassion but it is still alive in her tank. I think Creepy (briareus) opened and ate either one or two oysters and possibly a clam in her tank but I am not sure if these were alive when she/he arrived or not to be honest and I have not put fresh ones in to watch and see (these were left overs from Beldar).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back