CIAC 2006 powerpoint and Finned Octopoda article

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
tonmo said:
1) Jean McKinnon's CIAC 2006 Powerpoint Presentation (2 meg .ppt file) has been added to our Ceph Science articles.
Any chance this can be posted as the .ppt file or a real web hierarchy? The .mht version appears to need internet explorer (or at least is completely inaccessable under amd64 linux firefox), which I don't have handy... If it's a pain, I can go read it on a windows machine, but I figured I'd mention it in an effort to make TONMO content accessible to people of all operating system creeds...

Euprymna

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jean,

cool slideshow, wish I could have been in Hobart to hear your presentation! But a bit too far for me!

Having read your presentation I was wondering what was the reason that you used calcein? Was it just for staining? Could you explain me that quickly? In your slideshow you did not mention after how long you removed the statolith after staining them? was it after 24 hours to validate a daily deposition?
Here we are trying to validate growth rings in Ovulgaris beaks, stained them with tetracycline. however, it appears that merely 20% of those beaks are easily readable. Some of them are really clearly showing bands (daily???) but some are very bad!
cheers,
eups

Euprymna

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
main_board said:
Out of curiosity, how old are the octos you are aging?

Cheers!
Hi MB,

Well I don't really know!! That's the problem...
For our O.vulgaris, we've got about four different weight classes of individuals ranging from 150 g to 1 kg. They were captured so we don't know their age and cannot infer much because size is not a good measure of age in cephs. For now, I can only guess that the largest are about 7-8 months old but maybe they are younger and it could be that the smaller ones are older...

eups

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Reaction score
Euprymna said:
Having read your presentation I was wondering what was the reason that you used calcein? Was it just for staining? Could you explain me that quickly? In your slideshow you did not mention after how long you removed the statolith after staining them? was it after 24 hours to validate a daily deposition?
Here we are trying to validate growth rings in Ovulgaris beaks, stained them with tetracycline. however, it appears that merely 20% of those beaks are easily readable. Some of them are really clearly showing bands (daily???) but some are very bad!
cheers,
eups

Hi Eups,
I was using calcein just for staining for several reasons

1) I had it on hand :biggrin2:
2) I find that TC has toxicity problems (it is after all an antibiotic)
3) TC oxidises rapidly and after a while the slides loose the mark (unless you store them wrapped in tinfoil or immersed in glycerin). I have slides made over 10 years ago of bivalve shell sections which still have very clear calcein rings.

Hope this helps

J

Reaction score
Ok, I was way off. I was just curious as there was a presentation at CIAC regarding aging via beak increments as well. However, I believe they were working with upper beaks from ommastrephid squid paralarva. It was pretty cool because they got a one increment per day rate of growth for the beaks as well. Anyways, I don't really know where I was/am going with this...good luck with your beak work.

Cheers!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
octo.journey

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan