Chutulhu mythos.

Lovecraft stories for free online

For the cheapskates among us, the complete works of HPL can be found for free on the web:

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/

Because no one can find evidence that Lovecraft's heirs bothered to file a copyright extension, some claim that they are in the public domain. Of course, others claim they're not, use your own judgement. I try not to rip off copyrighted material in general, but it sounds like the people claiming they own the copyright are both probably wrong and not particularly associated with Lovecraft's legacy (i.e. they're companies that bought the rights from his publisher or something).

Anyway, you can check out stories here and decide to buy the books if you like them...

Toren, you say that the whole thing about Cthulhu being deified is a misconception, but the idea around it is that, yes, good and evil are human terms, and the whole idea of Cthulhu being a terrible creature is supposed to be tied in with human mythology and religion. So although he isn't evil, his logic is way over hte heads of human conception, and thus he is persieved as evil in mythology and religion. Of course he was imprisioned long before man's beginings, but there was evidence for his existence, such as the artifacts left by the deep-ones etc, and so man saw the terrible image and created a reason, much in the same way as the first humans o see dinosaur bones called them Dragons. He is seen as a water element because of his appearance looking vaguely like that of a ceph (although his facial tentacles have never been described as having suckers, and so are either like a nautilus' or completely different, and are more like tendrils on a plant). But yeah, apart from that, you're right. Of course he was just a creation of Howard Lovecraft (and not even the most powerful), but I think the idea was that he was meant to be depicted as an evil demon by humans.

Graeme

Cthulhu is no more evil than we are. When we kill a nest of fire ants we do it without malice, so the great one looks upon us as vermin infesting his eternal picnic.

Graeme said:
He is seen as a water element because of his appearance looking vaguely like that of a ceph (although his facial tentacles have never been described as having suckers, and so are either like a nautilus' or completely different, and are more like tendrils on a plant). But yeah, apart from that, you're right. Of course he was just a creation of Howard Lovecraft (and not even the most powerful), but I think the idea was that he was meant to be depicted as an evil demon by humans.

Yes, certainly I agree that (in fiction and in real life [maybe!]) humans worship him like a god and/or attribute evilness to him, but that is the human point of view, not the Lovecraftian nature of the universe.

The water elemental aspect was attributed to him by August Derleth, an important figure in getting Lovecraft published in books rather than just the pulp magazines, but he threw in a lot of non-Lovecraftian concepts into the Cthulhu Mythos in his own Mythos fiction.

Yeah. Still, August Derleth did belt out some good pieces of fiction, even if he did sometimes totally (how can I say this without using profanities?) leave some of Lovecraft's stuff "violated". I just wish that some of the contributers actually tried to create the same atmosphere as HPL, instead of trying to think up the most bizarre looking critters with as unpronouncable names as possible:lol: Think I've said that before, actually :lol:

Graeme

Well, you can't just blame him...after all, his Arkham House kept HPL alive for generations, and Bloch and others certainly did their damage too.
I've reread "the call of cthulhu" again and again in the last week or so, and there really is no clear cut definition of what exactly it is supposed to be...god, elemental, etc. Just a force to be reckoned with, I guess. Still, good stories...The Colour out of Space, what a great one that is !

Graeme said:
I just wish that some of the contributers actually tried to create the same atmosphere as HPL, instead of trying to think up the most bizarre looking critters with as unpronouncable names as possible

Word. There are some good ones though.
Certainly no dearth of material to go through...
NecFiles

Cthulhu 2000 just came through the post today!! Hope it's good! I have heard some good things about the stories within, but we'll see!

Graeme

Cheers, buddy, I just fancied a change from the Cthulhu plushie. I love painting the RAFM minis! Took a photo of it, holding my hand over the flash to try and subdue it a bit (actually it was by accident :wink:) and it came out red!

Graeme

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back