Chiroteuthis

GPO87

Sepia elegans
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
The genus Chiroteuthis vary greatly in shape and size. One unifying feature they all appear to have is noticably long and thick 4th arms. They are also known for the elaborate photophore patterns on their body (which differ depending on species.)

Chiroteuthis calyx

More info here

Attachments

• conv_305300.jpg
    conv_305300.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 547
@Tentagal, I started a Members' Publications thread in the Octopus' Den that tries to keep a running list of members' published works. If you will start an entry with your TONMO name and your publication name, I will add you to my Google Scholar search and add publications as I see them there or happen upon them elsewhere. Members can modify their own threads for a short time but supporters can edit indefinitely so if you have items to add after your initial post, be sure I see them (using @DWhatley in a referencing post) -- even if you become a supporter :biggrin2:. For the initial post you can post as little as the two names or as much as you would like. The format is loose but I will modify it a bit to fit the general look and feel so don't worry much about formatting. The publications do not have to be in journals. YouTube videos, magazines, or any other public paper are encouraged to be posted, preferably with links.

schmidt ocean saw a beautiful chiroteuthis on the way down this morning, appears to most resemble c. calyx although i can't tell if the ocular photophores match up from the angles we got

consensus on this deceased specimen seems to be chiroteuthis of unknown species:

chris mah sent to mike 4 years ago when it was originally posted and mike thought lepidoteuthis, however that doesn't account for the ocular photophores. after a bunch of back and forth, asperoteuthis acanthoderma and grimalditeuthis were eliminated so we're left with chiroteuthis.

NOAA Ocean Explorer's website lists this as chiroteuthis veranyi, presumably ID'd by mike vecchione (he's listed as science personnel on the dive summary)

EX2103_IMG_20210624T134918Z_ROVHD.jpg

EX2103_IMG_20210624T135109Z_ROVHD.jpg

EX2103_IMG_20210624T135216Z_ROVHD.jpg

oh i've got more

schmidt ocean observed two individuals of presumably the same species at the start of this dive in 2020 off australia. i pulled a bunch of full-resolution framegrabs that were uploaded to Squidle and are no longer available (data is still there, squidle just needs to update links to point to the new location) and i think the overall conclusion from this thread between myself and fernando was that it's probably c. piceti? due the location, visceral photophores, club shape, and ocular photophores.

start of thread w/fernando weighing in on chiroteuthis, there are a couple of subthreads:
scicam_20201017_235235724_free_form.jpg

scicam_20201017_235653651_video_highlight.jpg

scicam_20201018_000004346_free_form.jpg

scicam_20201018_000209575_free_form.jpg

FFobb8dWQAUXIQZ.jpg

FFobhTDWYAg5yQX.jpg

FFobhx1X0AMQYX5.jpg

FFotskNXsAQgxwa.jpg

FFofk7dXMAUw69u.jpg

FFofk7gWQAAOnaT.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back