• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Chicagoland area

digger

Hatchling
Registered
I'm looking to get some cuttlefish eggs and maybe an octopus in the near future. I'm trying to see whats out there right now and who is in the Chicagoland area that has experience with cephs. I have a 120 gal for cuttles and a 75 for an octopus so I should be fine. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated I've been spending most of my time reading all the care and feeding threads on here. Post #1! woohoo!:heee:

Thank you. I've been wanting to do this for awhile just haven't had much time. I would also like to find more people around my area for possible group orders and stuff like that.

Hi, I am in Chicago. I keep octopuses and would be up for group buys.:smile: You won't be ready for the larger stuff (shore shrimp or fiddlers)for a while if hatching cuttles. When you are, drop me a line.

Oh...:welcome: to Tonmo, glad to have you here!

Thanks. I'm also thinking of starting an octopus tank. They have some "common" octopus at H-mart in Niles if you"re ever around there. I'm in Lake County but around Chicago alot. I also have fw stingray tanks and others. How have you found the octopus to be are they a hardy species in relation to cuttles?

digger;172599 said:
Thanks. I am thinking of getting an octopus too. They have them at H-Mart on Niles.

I went to check them out. They are cold water species (I was told) from Korea. They were in pretty rough shape too. It broke my heart to see them in those small mesh bags languishing like that.

How have you found the octopus to be are they a hardy species in relation to cuttles?

We had one member that tried to keep octos rescued from a Korean market and despite trying 5 or 6 times none of them every made it. The food octos all seem to be in really rough shape.

They are in bad shape I saw the slime coat coming off of some of them. As for cold water species, you have to be careful when asking them. I asked about the temperature and 1 person said 10 the next person said 1.25. Clearly they don't know I checked the thermostat after searching for it and from where I was standing I believe it said 60-65 but hard to read from the angle and distance.

digger;172455 said:
I'm looking to get some cuttlefish eggs and maybe an octopus in the near future. I'm trying to see whats out there right now and who is in the Chicagoland area that has experience with cephs. I have a 120 gal for cuttles and a 75 for an octopus so I should be fine. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated I've been spending most of my time reading all the care and feeding threads on here. Post #1! woohoo!:heee:

Hi,

I'm in the chicagoland area and I have about 8 or 9 baby Sepia Bandensis for sale. I also have a 2 week old egg cluster (still in the tank) that I would be willing to sell. The babies are eating live mysis.

I'm asking $40 for any babies older then 2 weeks (I have a couple of 3 week olds) and $25 for any younger then that.

Pic of the parents
DSCN1687.jpg

Pic of a newborn.
DSCN1741.jpg

Eggs! Though this is the last batch, the current batch is dug in and tough to photograph.
DSCN1737.jpg

I'm about 15 min north of the city.

Also, anyone nearby ordering live mysis? I'd be thrilled to split orders and save a little on shipping.

thanks,
Thumbsy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back