• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Check this out...especially Nancy

sideways

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
We bought some of these at the "Dollar Tree" tonight for our niece and nephews. Nancy, check out the second pic to see the name of the product.
John

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Looks like Ollie went into business for herself!

The way Ollie got her name - Before she arrived, I told my husband he could name our octopus. Without even a pause, he said "Ollie, Ollie Octopus". I thought it was a fine name. And after Ollie turned out to be a girl, it was still a fine name.

Nancy

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
Great find there and what a coincidence.At first I thought Ollie was supposed to be a female. I only realised he was a he when I noticed everyone refered to him as a "he".

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Like most of our octo owners, I assumed that I had a male. (It's very difficult to determine the sex of a bimac. ) Then, when I saw the eggs, I knew Ollie was a female and began referring to "she" and "her".

Nancy

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
Just saying I thought she was a female right from the start. Where did the eggs go in the end, I was never really clear on that.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
And that one was copyright 2002! It's a good drawing of an ocotpus, too - I'm going to have to give some thought to the upcoming Ollie book, the Ollie tote bag series, and the Ollie note cards. (I promised Ollie she would be famous.)

Yes, I think Olllie Octopus is common because both words begin with the same letter - Polly Octopus isn't as good.

Her nickname was Ollliepod, by the way.

As for the eggs, well, either the bristleworms ate them or Ollie herself destroyed them - there weren't many - and after a month or so, she stopped guarding so carefully the area where they were and started dismantling her den. I don't think they were fertile, but bimacs can lay infertile eggs.

Nancy

Members online