• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Check out my crabitat!

octomatic

GPO
Registered
hey everone i made this pretty sweet setup to house live crabs. i bought the largest critter keeper and put a 10 gallon whisper filter in it. I added a plastic looking tree that they can climb on and hide in, also the tree extends above the water line so they can get out of the water if they need too. the tank is filled with just over a gallon of brackish water that I change every week. I went to richmond beach today and found 5 shore crabs under rocks. 3 of these are HUGE! i would say 4 inches. do you think i should cut off the claws so they dont damage an octo? anyway heres a short video of the tank!

I have had mixed luck with saltwater crabs that have come in LR or other shipments. I usually put this kind of hitch hiker in a pico I keep around for this purpose and the crabs do well for awhile and then just die. I suspect they expire at the time for their first molt but I don't know why they don't make it in the small setup.

When you feed a crab with a large claw, break either the top or bottom part of the pincher off just before feeding (keeping your fingers well clear of the pincher intersection). This will leave some of the claw meat for the octopus but keep it from losing an arm. In general, disable anything that can harm the octopus. Small cuts can lead to infections which are not easily treated or cured.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back