• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

cheap saltwater crabs?

fishkid6692

Wonderpus
Registered
i need to buy cheap saltwater crabs not fidlers. anyone know a website where i can order them? or where i can get medium sized shrimp or hermits?

we had some that lived in schlemms tank about two or three weeks before and after his death. they are amazingly hardy lil buggers. watch out though, mine turned into excellent escape artists, we once found one about to climb on the dog to explore

norgebyblood;110421 said:
we had some that lived in schlemms tank about two or three weeks before and after his death. they are amazingly hardy lil buggers. watch out though, mine turned into excellent escape artists, we once found one about to climb on the dog to explore

That would have made an interesting video:biggrin2:

Ok, so this may seem stupid but the fiddler crabs are freshwater? I was planning on buying many of them at a time and keeping them in my sump. If the answer is yes then I'll have to find another solution.

I found they might last three or four weeks in saltwater without a place to crawl out, but it's not difficult to set up a habitat for them - just use a big plastic container, sides don't need to be too high (8 inches) put in a couple of inches of sand, sink a smaller plastic container in the sand to hold water, and they will be happy. Keep the sand damp with brackish water (1/2 fresh, 1/2 saltwater). I fed mine marine fish flakes, lettuce and air popped popcorn. One lived for more than 2 years.

Nancy

i just keep mine in a tank of salt water with rocks up out of the water.... just make sure that there isn't anything (cords) for them to climb out on... because they will.. any you can find them in oddest places...

they also can et in ur ver flow box if u leave them in the tank, so check there if ur octo isnt seen but the crabs still seem to disappear in the tank

'Critter keeper' (ten bucks at local pet store), some lumps of rock and some sand, brackish water and feed them marine fish flakes and they seem to survive more than long enough to make an interesting chase for your octo.

I had mine in a bucket with a lid (and the above), but the damn cat worked out how to operate the lid, and there's a limit to how many sad crabby corpses you can tread on with bare feet...

Er, i don't do anything to aerate or filter, I'm afraid. I do water changes pretty regularly, and they seem alive and lively. Not sure you ought take that advice, as I'm sure it's bad.

Do you still have the brown crabs? What size and price are they? We live in western Maryland for shipping.
Do you know of anyone who can provide live saltwater crayfish? Our octo LOVES freshwater crayfish more than anything but I know they are not nutricious enough so maybe someone has saltwater ones?

ppenn;122189 said:
Do you still have the brown crabs? What size and price are they? We live in western Maryland for shipping.
Do you know of anyone who can provide live saltwater crayfish? Our octo LOVES freshwater crayfish more than anything but I know they are not nutricious enough so maybe someone has saltwater ones?

There is no such thing as saltwater crayfish. Have you tried raw shrimp, scallops, mussels? Maybe you could get fresh crab at the seafood market - you are in Maryland after all...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back