cheap saltwater crabs?

Discussion in 'Sources for Cephalopods and Food' started by fishkid6692, Feb 11, 2008.

1. fishkid6692

fishkid6692 Vampyroteuthis Supporter

i need to buy cheap saltwater crabs not fidlers. anyone know a website where i can order them? or where i can get medium sized shrimp or hermits?

2. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

www.aquaculturestore.com

They sell Fiddler Crabs 10 for about $14, shore shrimp 50 for about $25. Free shipping, takes a few days.

3. fishkid6692

fishkid6692 Vampyroteuthis Supporter

but will the fidler crabs live in saltwater?

4. Animal Mother

For a while, yes. Long enough to be eaten. :)

5. norgebyblood

norgebyblood O. vulgaris Registered

we had some that lived in schlemms tank about two or three weeks before and after his death. they are amazingly hardy lil buggers. watch out though, mine turned into excellent escape artists, we once found one about to climb on the dog to explore

6. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

That would have made an interesting video:grin:

7. Inception7

Inception7 Blue Ring Supporter

Ok, so this may seem stupid but the fiddler crabs are freshwater? I was planning on buying many of them at a time and keeping them in my sump. If the answer is yes then I'll have to find another solution.

8. Animal Mother

They are brackish.

9. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

I found they might last three or four weeks in saltwater without a place to crawl out, but it's not difficult to set up a habitat for them - just use a big plastic container, sides don't need to be too high (8 inches) put in a couple of inches of sand, sink a smaller plastic container in the sand to hold water, and they will be happy. Keep the sand damp with brackish water (1/2 fresh, 1/2 saltwater). I fed mine marine fish flakes, lettuce and air popped popcorn. One lived for more than 2 years.

Nancy

10. SandV

SandV Wonderpus Registered

i just keep mine in a tank of salt water with rocks up out of the water.... just make sure that there isn't anything (cords) for them to climb out on... because they will.. any you can find them in oddest places...

11. daddysquoc

daddysquoc Wonderpus Registered

they also can et in ur ver flow box if u leave them in the tank, so check there if ur octo isnt seen but the crabs still seem to disappear in the tank

12. MsV

MsV Blue Ring Registered

'Critter keeper' (ten bucks at local pet store), some lumps of rock and some sand, brackish water and feed them marine fish flakes and they seem to survive more than long enough to make an interesting chase for your octo.

I had mine in a bucket with a lid (and the above), but the damn cat worked out how to operate the lid, and there's a limit to how many sad crabby corpses you can tread on with bare feet...

Er, i don't do anything to aerate or filter, I'm afraid. I do water changes pretty regularly, and they seem alive and lively. Not sure you ought take that advice, as I'm sure it's bad.

13. Bob 1000

Bob 1000 Cuttlefish Registered

I have small brown crabs... 50 cents each regular crabs ranging from half inch to 1.5 inches...
    I also have a way to ship them...:talker:

14. ppenn

ppenn Larval Mass Registered

Do you still have the brown crabs? What size and price are they? We live in western Maryland for shipping.
    Do you know of anyone who can provide live saltwater crayfish? Our octo LOVES freshwater crayfish more than anything but I know they are not nutricious enough so maybe someone has saltwater ones?

15. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

There is no such thing as saltwater crayfish. Have you tried raw shrimp, scallops, mussels? Maybe you could get fresh crab at the seafood market - you are in Maryland after all...

16. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Yes, octopuses love crawfish, but since they are freshwater, they should be fed only as an occasional treat. But you don't have to eliminate them from your octopus's diet.

Like cuttlegirl mentions, there are many other foods to try, although the favorites are usually crabs and shrimp (in that order).

Nancy

17. ppenn

ppenn Larval Mass Registered

There are salt water crayfish that live in the bayou and the Gulf deltas. They are the Louisiana Red Claw Crayfish. Our octo was eating frozen silversides and then we got live fiddlers and snails. He would eat the crabs after awhile but was not thrilled with them. We've tried live clams, mussels and scallops and he doesn't like them. Ever since we tried a crayfish when we were waiting for a food order he was so excited he changed from light tan and grey to pulsing alternately purple and white stripes and spots; coming out in full light which he normally waits until the lights are out. My video is posted on utube. Because he so obviously loves this food and is such a neat creature and we have been actively searching for the crayfish. We are in the far western end of Maryland in the mountains, 4-5 hours from the ocean.