• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Cheap Fiddler Crab

AquaForce

Blue Ring
Registered
$4 ?thats extortion!!!!! I sell them for 50 cents a piece..... ( but i get them from a good friend who runs a bait and tackle shop )

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Depends on the source. Locally, if you pick up fiddlers at a wholesaler, they sell for about a dollar. If you have them delivered it costs more. So, 4 may be a little high, but not to bad considering the overhead that comes with a live animal to the public business.

Spence24

GPO
Registered
I guess if your only buying one as a pet, my sister keeps one in a gallon tank on her nightstand, it would be o.k. to par 4 dollar's a crab... but when you need 4-10 or even more a month you have to either go strait to the source or find someone that doesn't have such a high overhead.

Aqua Tech

O. bimaculoides
Registered
wow! you guys are getting raped on Fiddlers, lmao I bring them in to my store in the 100 lots at 0.04 cents each dime size! give or take a few cents per order. maybe i should be shipping these out to all of you, lmao you could make me rich. LMAO

Mark,

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Mark,
Unfortunately, shipping to and from Canada is not likely to have high survival rates because of Customs. However, we often get requests from people in Canada looking for a food source and you would be doing them a huge favor by listing yourself as a supplier!

Aqua Tech

O. bimaculoides
Registered
I can do that for sure. I have not gone over your site/forums totally is there a spcific place to go to do that?

mark,

xlzerolx

Larval Mass
Registered
Sweet! I am just starting up a tank , and a source of live food available locally for reasonable price is awesome( whether i decide to keep a ceph or not)! I checked out your website from your forum profile. Will livestock be available to order through your website when it is fully up and running?

Anyway. Perhaps there will one day be a sticky with sources that have live food available for reasonable prices, like those for ceph and octopus availability..... ~*nudge* nudge* *wink* *wink*~ :wink:

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
yea, a sticky for that would be great. I feed my octo mostly thawed shrimp since fiddlers are too expensive, but if i could get a reasonable price on them im sure my octo will love it.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
actually Mark, THIS IS the forum for that kind of post. Just start a new topic with something in the title about Fiddler Crabs for Sale in Canada and provide pricing and contact info. If it is not possible to ship live cross-provience, be sure and include the providences that are eligible in the title. Should Tony creates a sticky, I am sure he will move the post at that time (hint, hint). Canada has been a real problem for food (albeit our numbers there have been somewhat limited) since it is not viable to ship anything live through customs so a reliable local food source will be most welcomed.

Members online