Chasing Giants: On the Trail of the Giant Squid

o.vulgaris

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
#1
Can anyone put this on youtube or google Video?
It seems that so much has changed on the discovery website, and one is no longer able to purchase the VHS(did it ever come out on DVD?). It being the leading documentary for ceph's that I have ever seen(seen many, spent many quids!) I certainly would like to see it somewhere up for download. After all these days, these new video sites you can upload anything with extreme ease. Of course, that is if Steve would permit one of us to upload it.
 

Steve O'Shea

Colossal Squid
Supporter
#2
I have no say in the matter Dave; I don't even have a copy myself.

The Discovery site certainly has changed, considerably! So too has the channel! Rumours are even bigger changes are in the pipeline.

Maybe four new series:
American Squider
Monster Squidarrage
Squidyard Wars
Squid Busters
 

WhiteKiboko

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Registered
#3
i think Daddy Discovery would object to it being on youtube the way nbc was opposed to SNL clips [see 'lazy sunday' for and clarification]

not that i'd be offended if such clips found their way to a very public medium....
 

o.vulgaris

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
#4
Well, I've seen all sorts of clips and episodes on youtube, and it's not like if they can object, we would be having it linked to a specific audience. :)
All in all, I wouldn't disagree with having members of TONMO having a chance to see something that DC has stopped doing--very insightful documentaries!
 

Akyu

GPO
Supporter
#5
Ugh. I am really upset about this. I had promised myself that I'd buy the three dvds/vhs that PBS had to offer on cephs in July. Now I finally have the dough to cough up, and they're not offering it anymore?

If anyone knows where I can get a hold of copies, let me know. Thanks!
 

WhiteKiboko

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Registered
#6
o.vulgaris said:
and it's not like if they can object, we would be having it linked to a specific audience.
The audience isn't the problem, just the use of copyrighted work...
 

monty

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Supporter
#7
Well, YouTube does remove clips sometimes-- I was looking for "Stewie from Family Guy Singing Rocket Man" the other day, and just got a YouTube notice "this clip has been removed because it violated our policy for copyrighted material" or something like that.

They may only do this if the copyright holder complains, though; there's certainly a lot of copyrighted stuff that goes up on YouTube that seems to stay indefinitely.
 

o.vulgaris

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
#8
monty said:
Well, YouTube does remove clips sometimes-- I was looking for "Stewie from Family Guy Singing Rocket Man" the other day, and just got a YouTube notice "this clip has been removed because it violated our policy for copyrighted material" or something like that.

They may only do this if the copyright holder complains, though; there's certainly a lot of copyrighted stuff that goes up on YouTube that seems to stay indefinitely.
Something as popular as a specific Family Guy episode, I can understand, but not some documentary that only a select few will access.
 

Steve O'Shea

Colossal Squid
Supporter
#9
What is youtube?

I think that you will find additional squid videos soon enough; the site is certainly being revamped, but they remain interested in these beasts. Keep an eye out at the beginning of August ... maybe (hard to say these days)
 

monty

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Supporter
#10
Steve O'Shea said:
What is youtube?

I think that you will find additional squid videos soon enough; the site is certainly being revamped, but they remain interested in these beasts. Keep an eye out at the beginning of August ... maybe (hard to say these days)
youtube is a site that lets the general public post videos for everyone on the web to access... it's gained a lot of popularity recently with people who want to post funny things for the world to see, but who don't have their own web sites with enough bandwidth or storage to post video.
 

sorseress

Colossal Squid
Supporter
#12
Unfortunately, I don't think we could play it in the states. Or is that only with videotapes?
 

Akyu

GPO
Supporter
#14
Woot! The Mac plays all region (found that out when I bought some Chinese Kung-Fu movies and it was for Asia's region)... now to convince W. that I GOTTA have this dvd.
 

Members online

No members online now.