• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

CHALLENGE

Steve O'Shea

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Anyone (other than TTF and Phil) want to guess what the attached image is? Yes, it's from a cephalopod, but that's the only clue.

I've deliberately textured the image (bricks) - sorry everyone, but this one is embargoed.

Me

WhiteKiboko

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Registered
its obvious that theyre the initial stage of an octoparrot's feathers....

hmm... i dunno... maybe some type of velcro type appendages on or around the suckers used for a better grip?

thom

Blue Ring
Registered
Well, they look like dermal denticles of sharks, so i searched for dentacles on tonmo, and the answer is on this very site i believe :)

Richard Ellis' review of "the BEAST" mentions microscopic denticles on the tongue of an Architeuthis...

is this the answer?

Cheers,

Thomas.

Steve O'Shea

Colossal Squid
Supporter
This is the kind of answer I was expecting (and what others may-well have assumed in the fossil record also), but it's not the right answer.

Exactly what is a radula?
What exactly is a 'denticle'?
What is the tongue of an Architeuthis (or any mollusc)?

No, these are not radular [adj.] structures, and not associated with the 'toungue'. but you're warm.

It's pretty sensational stuff!

Fujisawas Sake

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter
Registered
Is it the nacreous layer of a nautilus shell? :P

"He thought: Very well. I am now a man with no food, with two less fingers and one less toe than I was born with; I am a gunslinger with shells which may not fire; I am sickening from a monster's bite and have no medicine; I have a day's water if I'm lucky; I may be able to walk perhaps a dozen miles if I press myself to the last extremity. I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything."

- Roland Deschain, Last in the line of Arthur Eld
From The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger by Stephen King

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Hmmm, tongue was my only guess, same reference as Thom's (Richard Ellis book)... but I've got nothing else; I'm stumped... wonder what species this is... (request for hint fully embedded)

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
Usually only hard parts of animals are fossilized.

Cephalopod Hard Parts:
  1. External Chambered Shell
  2. Internal Gladius/Pen/Rostrum
  3. Aptychus (Jaws, Beak, Opercullum)
  4. Radular Elements
  5. Tentacle hooks/Sucker Rings
  6. Statoliths

I'll choose tentacle hooks just to choose something :)

Unless someone can add something to the list :shock:

Steve O'Shea

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Sorry to keep texturing these things; the reasons will become all-too apparent in Tonmo time.

Attached is a radula (textured); nope, the earlier image is no radula; neither is it hook, shell nor of gladius origin. People have been warm .... but you'll need to do a lot of digging to find out what these structures are, because as far as I know they really haven't been reported in detail to date.

I don't want to tell you what it is, simply because it's an interesting way to learn about anatomy if you figure it out for yourself (boring if I blurt something out, don't you think?).

Clem

Architeuthis
Supporter
Registered
Steve O'Shea said:
Exactly what is a radula?
What exactly is a 'denticle'?
What is the tongue of an Architeuthis (or any mollusc)?
Dear Steve,

Well...gah. Structures for pulping food and moving them down the gullet, I guess. If you didn't have grinding teeth or a radular tongue, you might want some kind of internal structure to grind up the food before it was digested.

Ah, I've got it, you found a Sarlacc.

:wink:

Clem

um...

Architeuthis
Supporter
Is it a piece of the interior lining of the gizzard of a rainforest nautilus? Because that's what it looks like.

HEAndrews

Larval Mass
Registered
guess

Hi this is definitely a guess, well first picture would have said radula but has it is not, i have no idea is the picture up side down lol. The second picture guess again is it some kind of cilia in the digestive tract.
:bugout:

Members online

No members online now.