Cephs on the Chatham Rise

Tyler

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi everyone!
I was lucky enough to get the chance to head out to the Chatham Rise on the NIWA research vessel the Tangaroa for the month of August on a trawl survey to ID cephs as a part of the ALCES lab. I've been back on shore for a few weeks now so I thought I'd better put up a few photos of some of the cephs we caught :smile: :spirula:

Attachments

• Arrow and warty.JPG
    Arrow and warty.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 199
  • Bobtail.JPG
    Bobtail.JPG
    662.6 KB · Views: 194
  • Graneledone.JPG
    Graneledone.JPG
    758.9 KB · Views: 207
  • Histioteuthis.JPG
    Histioteuthis.JPG
    853 KB · Views: 194
Here's the last of them, with a bonus cool looking skate eye! :sink:
Also, here's a link to a short blog post I wrote about my trip for the Dunedin Aquarium if anyone's interested: http://www.dunedinaquarium.blogspot.co.nz/

Attachments

• IMG_3988.JPG
    IMG_3988.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 186
  • Onykia ingens.JPG
    Onykia ingens.JPG
    951.6 KB · Views: 216
  • Spirula.JPG
    Spirula.JPG
    655.9 KB · Views: 200
  • Todarodes.JPG
    Todarodes.JPG
    788.9 KB · Views: 169
Very exciting pictures! Would love to have seen them alive, especially the last two sets since they are less common. I wish we would spend some science time on better preservation methods so that the true look of an animal was displayed.

@Tyler are you planning on participating in the TONMOcon VI NZ presentation?

Last edited:
@DWhatley, I'll probably be in Dunedin over TONMOCON so I don't think I'll be able to participate, although I'd love to!

@Nancy, unfortunately we didn't have any facilities on the boat (that I'm aware of) to keep squid alive so they were all frozen to be looked at later. I wish we could have kept some alive though, that would have been really cool!

Here were some of the many cranchiids we caught

Attachments

• Cranchiids.JPG
    Cranchiids.JPG
    730.8 KB · Views: 174

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back