Cephs classified as dangerous to humans

Graeme

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I wasn't sure if there was a thread already on this, but I was wondering if there are any cephs that are deemed as dangerous?

I know the Humboldt was generally regarded as hostile, but this turned out to be more curiosity than genuine hostility- still, it's quite a dangerous animal for a novice or particularly skittish diver.

Then there's Hapalochlaena maculosa(Hoyle, 1883), the lesser blue-ringed octopus, which we all know ranks as one of the most deadly animals of the sea.

So are there any cephs that either are liable to show agression to humans, or have potent enough venom to kill (I'm right in thinking that all cephs have venom... leastwise octopuses anyways, right?)?

Graeme

Yes, all octopuses definately have venom but all are totally immune to the human skin besides the Blue Ringed which only lives around Australia.

The Mimic Octopus is still being studied and people don't know yet if it's toxic to humans. It's to hard to tell though because these animals never survive in captivity and aren't meant to be kept out of the wild. The Giant Octopus isn't toxic to humans, but a large enough one should only be handled in the water by someone who knows what their doing because like Humbolts, they can be dangerous out of curiosity, but unlike Humbolts, they don't show curiosity by biting or tearing you apart with their toothed rimmed suction cups. Instead, they've been known to pull masks off divers faces or hold them still without letting go. Experienced divers know techniques to keep them at a certain distance up close.

Armstrong;79076 said:
Yes, all octopuses definately have venom but all are totally immune to the human skin besides the Blue Ringed which only lives around Australia. .

what?

I think Colin is disputing the claim here :wink:...

Here is a [url2=[URL]http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/5174/]related[/URL] thread[/url2] from a while back.

all cephs have venom (toxin????) but only the blue ring group are deemed dangerous to humans. Having said that, I've been bitten by our midgets and it's like a bee or hornet sting which lasts for about 3 weeks. It disrupts fine motor control of fingers too. There have been instances of people bitten by these guys who needed emergency medical help because they were very allergic to the bite. THere is always that potential!

Small squid pack quite a bite too, I wouldn't want to fall in the water with a school of them!

J

toxins

As far as we know, all blue-rings in the genus Hapalochlaena have TTX, although given the number of undescribed species of blue-ring, this is not certain.

Octopus motuti is probably dangerous. Its name means poisonous ocotpus in Polynesian.

Roy

Jean;79081 said:
Having said that, I've been bitten by our midgets and it's like a bee or hornet sting which lasts for about 3 weeks. It disrupts fine motor control of fingers too. ... Small squid pack quite a bite too, I wouldn't want to fall in the water with a school of them!
J
I've dealt with a number of cases over the past few years re 'midget' (Octopus huttoni) bites; I quite agree.

Any animal when threatened (or feeling threatened) is going to exhaust whatever arsenal it has to defend itself. We have to look no further than events this past week!

I have been intimidated by a number of 3 metre plus octopus in New Zealand waters over the past few decades; they're not something I would want to be enveloped/embraced by. Personally I have not been affected by any midget bite.

Dangerous? Well, there are some squid that I most certainly would not want to be in the water with - Taningia, Mesonychoteuthis and Architeuthis to name a few! Then again, wouldn't it be fantastic to be there with them!! Perhaps fascination would overcome sensible fear (and imminent death!)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back