Cephs affected by acoustic trauma

Interesting article posted on the Ecological Society of America website.

Cephalopods Experience Massive Acoustic Trauma From Noise Pollution In The Oceans ESA 2013 Michel André

Cephalopods experience massive acoustic trauma from noise pollution in the oceans – The Ecological Society of America

Michel André, Technical University of Catalonia in Barcelona, and colleagues examined the effects of low frequency sound exposure—similar to what the giant squid would have experienced in Asturias—in four cephalopod species. As reported in an article published in Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment (e-View), a journal of the Ecological Society of America, all of the exposed squid, octopus and cuttlefish exhibited massive acoustic trauma in the form of severe lesions in their auditory structures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave,
Nice to see you around but I suspect having the time is not a good thing. I hope the aquarium staff is finding meaningful employment.

I added a little to your post so that members had a little taste of the article.

Still at the aquarium, but the scope of work has changed drastically... we are breaking things down and there are few animals left. Most if not all are still looking, hopefully we'll land some more of our staff in Baltimore, but for me once March rolls around it'll be on to the next job. Would love to continue in this field, but unfortunately there are not many opportunities when you're trying to stay put where you are! That said, if anyone has an opening for an operations person who understands the husbandry side of public aquariums/zoos, let me know!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back