• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Cephalopods

a rabid squid

GPO
Supporter
that tree octo sounds sooo cool. i want one ( i know its wrong )

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Is it wrong to covet that early-20s tree octopus cloche for my wife? If I find a vintage one, it won't actually be contributing to the demise of the current tree octopus population, will it? I mean, this would probably come from a Hollywood Hills estate sale - there are still private collections from old movie royalty turning-up once in a while after being passed-down for a few generations. A friend managed to get a yeti-fur coat that once belonged to Zasu Pitts for quite a reasonable amount at auction a couple of years back...

I guess what I'm asking is, would a vintage tree octopus cloche encourage the current commercial exploitation of the species, or simply be a historical artifact? I remember reading that octopus chapeaus became all the rage in France the season following the publication of Victor Hugo's "Toilers of the Sea", but I believe they were embroidered, or made similar to silk or crepe paper flowers so they didn't actually cause any octopus fatalities. :confused:

Members online

No members online now.