Cephalopods in Steampunk

Hi everyone!

I also belong to a local Steampunk-based social group in Sacramento called the League of Proper Villains. A question came up on our Facebook page about the Cthulhu fandom and Octopus-mascots in the Steampunk genre. (For those who don't know, Steampunk is the genre of science-fiction dealing with Victoria-Era to Early 20th Century technology and culture - i.e. Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, etc. Imagine steam-powered high technology with Victorian art and elegance). I drew the line between interest in classic horror and Lovecraft, as well as the link between cephalopods an Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea Any additional thoughts on why cephalopods are the unofficial steampunk mascots (along with owls) ?

I think most Steampunks like the adveturer/heroic aspect of Steampunk art and culture. I wonder if the cephalopod fascination has a subconscious link to the biomechanical appearance of these animals looking like pipes, balloons, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back