Cephalopod Videos

Octopus - Enteroctopus dofleini (Giant Pacific Octopus, GPO)

Why We're Suckers for the Giant Pacific Octopus - GPO at the Monterey Bay Aquarium (2.5 minutes)
Published on Sep 16, 2013

Did you know that giant Pacific octopuses get "attached" to their aquarists—in a good way? These intelligent animals recognize our staff and may even embrace them after a long absence.

Older videos consolidated ...

Boing Boing - Octopus Brains (30 min)
Uploaded on Dec 15, 2010
Everybody loves cephalopods—that class of animals containing octopuses, squid, and cuttlefish. But why? What makes these non-fluffy, non-mammals so appealing?

Last August, I attempted to answer that question in a presentation for a University of New Mexico IGERT symposium (http://www.chtm.unm.edu/incbnigert/20...). "Those Fabulous Octopus Brains" is a speech linking cephalopod neurobiology to cephalopod behavior, and asking what it really means to call a species "intelligent". It'll get you caught up on what we do, and don't, know about cephalopod smarts—and what studying these amazing creatures means for the future of human technology, and our understanding of the human brain.

Don't have time to watch the entire thing? Never fear. The intrepid editors at BoingBoing Video have put together a highlights reel that will enlighten you in a 1/3 of the time.

Short version here (10 minutes): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyGazP...

Cuttlefish
Kings of Camoflage - NOVA

One of the best cuttlefish documentaries (1 hour). Thanks Thales for spotting it!

Published on Apr 23, 2013 Kings of Camouflage

Cuttlefish are marine animals of the order Sepiida. They belong to the class Cephalopoda, which also includes squid, octopuses, and nautiluses. 'Cuttle' is a reference to their unique internal shell, the cuttlebone; and despite their name, cuttlefish are true mollusks.

Cuttlefish have large, W-shaped pupils, eight arms, and two tentacles furnished with denticulated suckers, with which they secure their prey. They generally range in size from 15 to 25 cm (5.9 to 9.8 in), with the largest species, Sepia apama, reaching 50 cm (20 in) in mantle length and over 10.5 kg (23 lb) in weight.[1]

Camouflage is the use of any combination of materials, coloration or illumination for concealment, either by making animals or objects hard to see (crypsis), or by disguising them as something else (mimesis). Examples include the leopard's spotted coat, the battledress of a modern soldier, and the leaf-mimic katydid's wings.[1] A third approach, motion dazzle, confuses the observer with a conspicuous pattern, making the object visible but momentarily harder to locate. The majority of camouflage methods aim for crypsis, often through a general resemblance to the background, high contrast disruptive coloration, eliminating shadow, and countershading. In the open ocean, where there is no background, the principal methods of camouflage are transparency, silvering, and countershading, while the ability to produce light is among other things used for counter-illumination on the undersides of cephalopods such as squid. Some animals, such as chameleons and octopuses, are capable of actively changing their skin pattern and colours; they often use this ability both for camouflage and for signalling.

Military camouflage was spurred by the increasing range and accuracy of firearms in the 19th century. In particular the replacement of the inaccurate musket with the rifle made personal concealment in battle a survival skill. In the 20th century, military camouflage developed rapidly, especially during the First World War. On land, artists such as André Mare designed camouflage schemes and observation posts disguised as trees. At sea, warships and troop carriers were painted in dazzle patterns that were highly visible, but designed to confuse enemy gunners as to the target's speed, range, and heading. During and after the Second World War, a variety of camouflage schemes were used for aircraft and for ground vehicles in different theatres of war. The use of radar in the Cold War period has largely made camouflage for fixed-wing military aircraft obsolete.

Non-military use of camouflage includes making cell telephone towers less obtrusive and helping hunters to approach wary game animals. Patterns derived from military camouflage are frequently used in fashion clothing, exploiting their strong designs and sometimes their symbolism. Camouflage themes recur in modern art, and both figuratively and literally in science fiction and works of literature.

Last edited:
Octopus - Octopus vulgaris (Common Octopus)

Octopus Volcano
- Pure Nature Specials, AlliantContent (50 minutes)
Published on Feb 26, 2013 Erupting every 20 minutes, Stromboli is one of the world's most active volcanoes. Beneath the surface, a healthy population of common octopus thrives on its treacherous slopes. Discover what allows the octopus to survive in such extreme conditions.

Octopus
octopus steals my video camera and swims off with it (while it's Recording)
- Victors Videos (3.5 minutes)
http://www.tonmo.com/forums/forum/ou...es-off-with-it

Uploaded on Apr 15, 2010 while trying to get video of a wild octopus, it suddenly dashed towards me and rips my shiny new camera from out of my hands, then swims off, all while the camera is recording! he swam away very quickly like a naughty shoplifter. after a 5 minute chase, I placed my speargun underneath him and he quickly and curiously grabbed hold of the gun as well, giving me enough time to reach in and grab the camera from out of his mouth. I didn't feel threatened at all during the whole ordeal. he seemed to be fixated on the shiny metallic blue digital camera. the only confusing behavior was how he dashed off with it like a thief haha. cheeky octopus.

songs by: Vincent Gillioz - Car Chase
Dalmatian Rex and the Eigentones - Octopus I Love You

Museum Victoria (1 minute)

http://museumvictoria.com.au/about/m...ry-land-video/

Octopuses, particularly those that live on the intertidal zone, like this small West Australian species of the genus Abdopus, are very capable of crawling over dry land.

These octopuses spend most of the day hiding in holes deep in the reef, only emerging when the tide has receded, and the intertidal zone has been transformed into a series of isolated pools. This octopus then moves from pool to pool, feasting on the many fishes and crustaceans that have been trapped in the pools by the outgoing tide. This octopus may also flee the pool to trek across dry land if threatened by a predator, or in this case, two biologists with a video camera.

This octopus was filmed on an intertidal reef north of Broome in Western Australia. It is a newly-discovered species and is currently undescribed.

Octopus - Octopus rubescens (Red Octopus, Ruby Octopus)

Octopus Walks on Land at Fitzgerald Marine Reserve
- tuantube (3.5 min)

Uploaded on Jun 19, 2011
This guy came out of the booth to gift us a crab. What a friendly dude!

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back