• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cephalopod Tank Setup

Hello all! :smile:

I'm new to these forums, but I'm hardly a new comer to the whole salt-water scene. Up until recently, I have been running reef tanks for the last 5 years. I have since decided, after doing a ton of research, that I want an aggressive tank species-only setup. I couldn't think of a better species than the one that has captivated me for such a long time. Henceforth, an octo tank is for me :biggrin2:

I have done quite a bit of reading (as any good keeper would) about these guys and their specific requirements. Seeing as the wise man is the man who admits he knows nothing, I have come to these forums looking for any advice on tank setup/size and feeding for an Octopus briareus. Thanks for giving this thread attention. :smile:

SpawnoChaos said:
I have done quite a bit of reading (as any good keeper would) about these guys and their specific requirements. Seeing as the wise man is the man who admits he knows nothing, I have come to these forums looking for any advice on tank setup/size and feeding for an Octopus briareus. Thanks for giving this thread attention. :smile:

:welcome:

I'm not the best one to answer specific questions, but I do want to make sure you've checked out the "ceph care" articles under the "articles" tab-- those are the best "concentrated wisdom" source. A number of folks have kept briareus recently, so there are a few threads floating around on them specifically. I think some folks have had briareus in the same tanks they've kept bimacs in, so the bimac-specific articles probably carry over pretty well, but make sure to find out if there were tweaks needed (like different temperature, for example).

Hi and welcome to TONMO.com! :welcome:

I would recommed a 75 gallon or larger tank for a briareus. This species of octopus needs tropical water termperature, maybe 78 degrees. Other than that, the tank set up is the same for briareus and a bimac. A wet/dry filter and sump, a protein skimmer, a power head for addiitonal circulation are the things you need.

Have a look at the Ceph Care articles and past posts - also, the photos posted will give you ideas.

Nancy

Thanks for the warm welcomes. :biggrin2:

I'm actually switching jobs right now giving me more liquid asset to throw around; this is my chance to setup this system correctly the first time around. Most of my experience with reef tanks and saltwater has been through reading tons of books... and then realizing that I missed one small bit of information, resulting in a lesson from the school of hard knocks. But hey, that is how we learn best in this hobby :smile:

Given the delicate nature of keeping one of these little geniuses, I figured that tank design would be a huge factor. I'll keep everyone posted as to what my thoughts are and how I am going to proceed with this.:smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back