• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cephalopod survey

@drgmcooke I have been canvassing on your behalf but don't have direct contact with the numbers you need. Tank Talk is probably not the best forum for this. I can move it to Octopus Care and you could add a second note in Cuttlefish Care for potentially more exposure. An alternate would be Ceph Care Ethics or Marine Conservation but I think either might give the wrong impression and have less traffic. Let me know if you want to try a different forum.

@DWhatley had 7 more responders overnight so whatever you did worked, many thanks. :smile: Not sure if moving will help as its gotten over 200 views here but if you think it would help...

Female shortly before going through a very quick senescence

Juvenile giving a classic deimatic warning display

Thanks all

Gav

Gav,
You have such interesting and unusual photos! More octopuses, please!

I think D's idea of moving your survey to Octopus Care and Cuttlefish Care is a good one. I am thinking we may have to contact people individually to encourage them to take the survey. My guess is that a large percentage of people who read the forums have never kept a ceph.

Nancy

good point about lurkers who might not have kept any before...yes, please move the thread, could it be duplicated and posted in both cuttles and octos care?

Don't have that many octo phots to hand but this E. cirrhosa (curled octopus) was rescued from fishermen and nursed back to health over winter, eventually released back into UK waters

I can't really copy the thread but I can move it and you (just to keep it under your name) could copy your initial post to Cuttlefish Care and link it to this one as well as putting a direct link to the survey under the new one.

OK, everyone! I've taken the time this afternoon to go back to the Lists of our Octopuses, a record of all octopuses, their species, and their keepers on Tonmo since 2003. (You can find these lists at the top of the Octopus Journals. I started them, then D Whatley took it over and has continued with them ever since.)

The result even surprised me. I counted 721 octopuses on these lists since 2003 - an average of about 49/year. The years with the greatest number of cephs recorded on the Tonmo lists were 2005/6 to 2011. Of course, this doesn't include the cuttlefish or other cephs which people have been keeping.

I should note that this number does not include all octopuses being kept as pets at a given time. Not everyone makes their way to Tonmo.

Now, why are we getting such a low rate of return on Gav's survey? Any ideas?

Nancy

up to 20 respondents, need a 100 ideally, thanks, Nancy. I tabulated and graphed all available tonmo data but should not share it until its published really. Seen a year on year decline in ceph pets since the world recession in 2007-8. The Same decline was seen in reef central to.

I will really look forward to reading this!

Did you tabulate and graph Tonmo's statistics by species? If so, I won't bother doing this, but will wait for your breakdown.

Nancy

yeah, but because ID is unreliable (even for pros), for the book chapter I have pooled Ocotpods, cuttlefish, squid and bobtails. PM me your email address and I'll show you what I have. Tony has seen it, or at least I emailed him, but no reply.

I am not sure it will be useful for your needs and it is probably a little late to mention it but you can sort the tabled lists by their headings. Some of the species are guestimates but there are a few that a clearly known. I do try to include a ? when it falls under the category of best guess.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back