Cephalopod Phylogeny from Squid Empire

Danna

Blue Ring
Supporter
Hello! Following in the honored footsteps (rootsteps?) of @Phil's magnificent family tree, here's a phylogeny incorporating the latest research up to 2017--notably, Kroger et al. 2011. It was sketched by yours truly, inked by talented artist CA Clark, and published in my book Squid Empire: The Rise and Fall of the Cephalopods. Feel free to use it in presentations, and drop me a line if you'd like to republish it anywhere. Of course, I can't wait to see what aspects of this rendition may be proved hilariously wrong as science marches on . . . :wink:

SE ceph phylogeny.png

@dana, How come Palaeoctopus and Hematites don't have little x's?
Oops! Thanks for asking; I ought to have included this note from the caption in the book: "Dotted lines indicate genera whose stories are told in the text; all other lines represent substantial taxonomic groupings." So the extinctions of larger taxonomic groups are marked with an x, whereas individual genera are just placed within their range. It was an attempt to make things a bit less cluttered, but I'm sorry for the confusion. (I wish it could mean that Palaeoctopus, Hematites, and the rest were still around today!)

Sorry to be so late to the party. I love your diagram, it's clear and, dare I say, fun. I feel honoured that you used my old diagram from all those years ago as a base. I will definitely be getting your book Danna.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back