• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cephalopod Oceanic Biocube curiosity?? (New to forum)

Cephdoc

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Hello all!! My name is Caleb Herschberger, and i've been a saltwater aquarist for a good time now. Cephalopods have always been a huge interest of mine. I am wondering about the oceanic biocubes and there compatibility with smaller species of Cuttlefish like Bandensis, and dwarf octopus or any other smaller species. I'm weighing heavily on purchasing a biocube or multiple biocubes and trying to house them specifically. Setting up these tanks specifically for the care of these marine creatures. I'm very excited!!!!! I have had a 8 gallon NANOcube before and housed Harlequin shrimp in it before which was very successful. I have plenty experience with saltwater tanks. Feel free to ask me any questions about my experiences with the hobby. Anyways, i am curious and have alot of questions about the biocubes and if they are suitable for cephs like i've mentioned? I am confident that they are. I want some more advice from people who have delt with things like this with actual experience in housing them. Example questions include: Any extra preparations need to be done to the biocube for successful housing? Extra sump?(I would like to stay away from that) Big enough for two Bandensis? Anything need to be done about high flow circulation? Etc.... I'm currently preparing to tear down my big tank now an downsize. But nothing bigger than a 30 gallon is what i'm thinking. I'm still living at home with my father i am currently 20 years old. Please any and all advice or insight on this subject would be appreciated. Please be concise and detailed if possible. I have been a fan of this forum since i've been interested in cephs, just now became a member. Thanks :smile:

:welcome: to TONMO

For cephs Biocubes are not the best option. Cephs require lots of filtration because they are very messy eaters, On my tanks I have filters that are double the required size. my 55 gallon has filters for 120 gallons and my 125 gallon has a filter rated to 210 gallons. The other problem is size 29 is too small for a group a cuttles. it would be ok for one but that's it and cuttles live much better in small groups. we generally suggest a min of 55 gallons for cephs.

Thanks Captfish! Do you have any advice other than a bigger tank. 55 gallon is more than i was hoping for... what about a 40?? And possibly really pushing the filtration with a larger sump? I was also curious about running a refugium with the biocube along with maybe a UV system to help algae control, and some sort of a carbon or lava rock set up alone with the bio balls? Have you kept The dwarf cuttles before? Please tell me alittle about your experiences :smile: :smile:

I would say that given the enormous amount of waste that cephalopods produce, it would not be a good idea to house one in a biocube. You could do it with a 30 gallon, but I would recommend a sump and a protein skimmer, along with live rock. I kept S. bandensis in a 29 gallon until they were about 5 months old and then switched to a 55 gallon. Keep in mind, that with cuttlefish, they often require live food, this can cost $100 plus a week in the beginning of their lives and then $30-50 per week after that. I once added up how much it cost to feed my three bandensis, and I was not happy...

Thanks Cuttlegirl :smile: How do you feel about raising your own live food? I have thought about that also. I was just at a local pet store, i know the man who owns it pretty well and he said he would cut me great deals on any live food i needed if i were going to go the route of keeping a octopus or cuttle.. or both :smile: I also know they have to eat mysis and other smaller critters when they are younger if i get them as babies correct..?? What do you think you would have in a 30-40 gallon setup price wise? What filtration would you recommend? Any other input would be great. Can i also ask you where you purchased your S. Bandensis?

Now that i think about it alittle more Captfish.. i think i might be getting in too deep with trying to turn a biocube into a ceph tank... I just think you will have just as much money in customizing one as you would to just to buy a traditional setup like you said and be done and happy. In a 30-40 you can keep say 2-3 correct? Given they are fed well??

I would say that the minimum size to keep a group of S. bandensis would be 55 gallons. It is possible to do it in a smaller tank, but if you have males, they will be displaying and fighting with each other and if you have females (and a male), they could be laying lots of eggs.

I dont know where to get the S.Bandensis... are they a seasonal species? Like i said in my other thread, "The Cuttlefish Army" article seemed misleading.. i thought they were succesful captive breeders and you could get them from them?

I was talking to my LFS today like i said a few posts earlier, and he wasnt familiar with them. Thank you so much for the info on his staus and website. Do you have anymore advice for me? Are you more of a cuttlefish lover or octopus lover? Ideally i'd like to set up two separate tanks and house both, but im having a hard time deciding. I know the Octopus requires alittle more precautions.

Being patient and going slow are keys here. It can take months just to locate an octopus or cuttle that will suit your avalible space. Many people have cut corners and regreted it, often ending up costing the lives of the octo or cuttle. My suggestion to you would be to plan out your tanks thoughtfully all the while keeping your ears to the ground in search of breeders/LFS who carry what it is you are looking for. We have a source thread where you can see if anyone has them in stock.

Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back