Cephalopod Lecture - LA area - Oct 6th

Discussion in 'Physiology and Biology' started by ceph, Sep 18, 2009.

1. ceph

ceph Wonderpus Staff Member Moderator

http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/newsevents/eventsdetail/cephalopods_chameleons_of_the_sea/

Cephalopods: Chameleons of the Sea

By James B. Wood

Octopuses, squid, cuttlefishes, and nautiluses are the amazing creatures known as cephalopods. They are found in the global ocean from the tropics to the poles, and from intertidal coastal areas to the abyss. They are capable of changing their appearance in terms of color, texture, and pattern. If these tricks do not work, these underwater chameleons can disappear in a cloud of ink that acts as a smokescreen. Cuttlefishes have inspired legends and stories throughout history and are thought to be the most intelligent of the invertebrates. Dr. James Wood will introduce us to these unique animals in a presentation rich with images and videos. He will also share some of his recent research. Wood is the director of education at the Aquarium of the Pacific. He is a board member and director of cephalopods at MarineBio. He holds a Ph.D. in biology from Dalhousie University.

Dr. Wood has published numerous peer-reviewed and popular papers on cephalopod behavior, life history, physiology, and husbandry. He is webmaster of The Cephalopod Page, one of the longest running biological web sites and is a founding executive member and board member for MarineBio.org. He has worked with the Census of Marine Life since 1998 and co-developed one of their pilot species databases–CephBase.

Event Information When: Tuesday, Oct 6, 2009
    7:00 pm–8:30 pm

Cost: $8 for public, $4 general Aquarium members, Free for Pacific Circle members and Students with Valid ID and advanced reservations

RSVP: (562) 590-3100, ext. 0

For those that can not make it in person but are still interested in the content, the Aquarium of the Pacific will post an online video of the lecture a month or so afterwards.

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Looking forward to the video :grin:

3. haggs

haggs Vampyroteuthis Supporter

your not alone there D. I just finished reading this and thought the same.

4. ceph

TONMO members,

I was able to arrange for up to 10 complementary tickets for TONMO members. Please RSVP after Wed (Sept 23) and just mention that you are a TONMO member. Be sure to arrive at least 15 min early to pick up your complimentary admission.

5. Noadi

Noadi Cuttlefish Registered

I love the internet, I can't wait for the video to be up. Maine to California is a bit far to travel for a ceph lecture.

6. smalljerm

smalljerm O. bimaculoides Registered

cant wait !!!

7. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

:thumbsup: Thanks Dr. James!

8. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

I made my reservation...

Do any TONMOers want to get together for a mini-con after the talk?

9. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

Well, I just got back from the talk, and it was quite entertaining... a lot of James' anecdotes as well as some interesting research results and observations, and a lot of good imagery. In particular, he premiered a video taken of bimacs in the wild in the tidepools on Catalina island that was quite impressive... when the webcast becomes available, I recommend it. I didn't see any obvious other TONMOers there, so I'm sorry if I missed anyone, but I did suggest to a few people afterward that they check us out...

10. DWhatley

I was there in Spirit, Monty :grin: I guess you missed me waving

11. ceph

The video of wild O. bimacs that we premiered is now online:

I'll post again when the full presentation is ready.

12. ceph

13. haggs

haggs Vampyroteuthis Supporter

I only have time to view the shortened version this morning before I head to work, but it was enough to make me see the full version sometime soon. Thanks for posting.

14. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

I just finished watching the short version, great for people who know little or nothing about cephs. Due to a night with no sleep, I'm going to need a lot more coffee before I tackle anything requiring brain cells. Thanks!

15. DWhatley

Were there students along with the teachers during the tide pool "show"? The first time I saw it I thought they were all young kids but during your pod cast you only mentioned teachers. :wink:

I loved the computer network analogy as that is how I always think about them as well, unfortunately, most of the audience probably has no concept of how a computer network is put together. In the early days of computers, I compared a specific computer technology to a species of dinasaur (who were thought to have a seconary brain - I think this thinking may have changed). The octopus would have made a better comparative for the paper but I don't think we knew that at the time :old:

16. ceph

The "students" were all established professional teachers - some with decades of experience. We were at Catalina Island leading an Aquarium of the Pacific hands-on professional development course supported by Boeing. You can also hear Aquarium of the Pacific education staff in the audio. The octopus attacking the crab happened first but I didn't want to introduce the video and "step on" the audio - which was almost as amazing as the video - so we moved that clip to the middle.

I now think there is no need for voice actors for nature films - just get a bunch of educators and immerse them in something really cool. . .

I love my job

17. DWhatley

Giggling educators with kid like ooos and ahhhs are terrific and way better than the mother in front of me on our last aquarium visit. We were walking through the under sea tunnel when one of her children expressed facination at one critter or another and stopped to look. The mother grabbed an arm to keep him moving and said, "THAT'S why we don't go into the ocean". My entire party immediatly turned and looked at me :grin: but I was well behaved and only muttered under my breath, "no, that is WHY we go into the ocean".