Cephalopod International Advisory Council Symposium (2012)

GPO87

Sepia elegans
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Hey all!
Myself and several other Tonmo members attended this conference in Brazil last week, and I thought I would share a reivew of the conference from my point of view (as a first time atendee, and as a student).
It was a really great experience for me (and other up and coming ceph researchers) to meet those working in the science field right now! There is some amazing research on a variety of species found all over the world going on right now, as well as studies looking at fisheries, development, and breeding in captivity. There was even a man who looked at how cuttlefish interpretted modern art (which was pretty cool).
I think the highlight of my CIAC experience was some video footage presented by Dr. Kubadera :drk: showing the length of time flying squid can stay out of the water (while gliding). It was absolutely amazing to watch these squid stay in the air.
There were also a series of workshops which met to discuss key issues facing cephalopod research today. I attended a workshop on deep-sea oceanic cephs. It was cool to be in an interactive discussion with current scientists who work on these issues every day, and to hear their point of view on the subject. The goal of each workshop was to go away with some ideas of how to present the discussion in the form of a paper, so I will repost once some publications become available.
Of the Tonmo'ers in attendance (and please forgive me if I missed anyone), there were presentations given by
myself
heather braid
and tintenfisch
And ceph displayed his wonderful new cephalopod database: cephworld! If you have not checked it out already, do so! It's a great comprehensive list of the hundreds of species in the world.

Attachments

• conv_305359.jpg
    conv_305359.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 158
  • conv_305360.jpg
    conv_305360.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 153
  • conv_305361.jpg
    conv_305361.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 147
ooooh...jealous!

Can you give some more insight into the 'issues facing research' discussions? I've been hearing a lot on two of those fronts recently - legislation in Europe, and the recent focus and renewed effort to get the genomes sequences to provide genomic info and tools. Both of those are very close to my interests...Were either of those on the agenda? And others?

I'd love to hear more about some of the talks too, if the contributors wanted to give a quick overview for those of us who couldn't make it to CIAC. Please? :wink:

Hey Robyn:

Unfortunately, I'm only familiar with the material that was part of my discussion group. However, just browsing over the themes of the other discussion groups (early life history, culturing specimens, and fisheries and habitat) I'm note sure if genomics would have come up. Global legislation (or European legislation) may have popped up in the fisheries workshop.
Genomics, however, seemed to be a very popular topic in many of the presentations during the week. I'm definitely not knowledgeable in that field, however, I know that Heather really enjoys barcoding, so she may have a few more insights into that topic. (I'll direct her to this thread).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back