Cephalopod International Advisory Council 2006

tonmo said:
Certainly wish I could be there (if they'd even let me in :biggrin2:). Have fun, ambassadors of TONMO.com!

Course they would Tony! Wish you caould be there too!

and Kat yes I'm assuming the worst too, got my talk halfway ready (that way if I have to change to poster I have the pics etc all ready to go!!)

J

Melissa said:
Will those of you presenting put up your pictures accompanying your talks or posters on TONMO? Please?

Have fun!

Melissa

Will do although at this stage most of mine are drawings and graphs.

Main_board Halifax to Hobart Wow.....that's some distance! Christchurch to Melbourne is about 3 hours then a wee wait of about 2-3 hours before the flight to Hobart.

Was going to leave from Dunedin but that was going to be nearly $500 more........can't quite figure out why, so have a four hour bus trip to Christchurch first, still 'tis extra time to memorise my talk and to get stressed out!!!!:lol:

J

Well, finally registered for the conference! And not a day too soon either for that early cut off of Nov. 1. Feels soooooo good, I'm just soooo excited! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers!

main_board said:
Well, finally registered for the conference! And not a day too soon either for that early cut off of Nov. 1. Feels soooooo good, I'm just soooo excited! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers!

See ya there, just heard I'm talking apparently same talk in 2 different sessions :shock: !!!! Aint gonna happen 1 is quite enough!!!!!!!!! Sent my registration off a few weeks ago with a big fat cheque (don't have a credit card .......waaaaaaaaaaaay too dangerous!!!)

Cheers

J

main_board said:
Hmmmm, that just might be a little awkward! Good luck with all the preparations. :yinyang:
Cheers!

Did they, in typical conference planning form, schedule the two talks in different rooms at the same time? I hope your talks go well, in any case... :grad:

Jean. said:
.....still they are ONLY GETTING ONE TALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, come on---it would look great on your CV!

Good luck, and I hope it goes better than my Geological Society of America talk last year :bonk:

Dan

DHyslop said:
Oh, come on---it would look great on your CV!

Good luck, and I hope it goes better than my Geological Society of America talk last year :bonk:

Dan

I hope it goes well too, I've given a presentation nearly every year at the NZ Marine Science Society Conference but that conference generally has no squid biologists at it, (unless Steve and Kat can find the time in their very busy schedules to attend ) so's I don't have to stress too much but a WHOLE conference of ceph people :goofysca: :goofysca:

I'm sure your talk was great really...on the whole when i talk to people after their presentations they pick holes in it but the audience usually find nothing wrong!!!!!!!

J

If you've given regular research talks you probably don't need either cv padding or well wishes :wink:

I really don't understand how myself or anyone else can be so nervous about public speaking. It is so irrational. I was watching Bill Clinton give an hour-long speech to a college group in Texas today on C-Span. Completely extemporaneous, without any notes or anything. I was in such awe until I realized that I, or anyone else, can do the exact same thing when we're talking to a friend and aren't under pressure. Completely psychological.

It reminds me of a bit by Jerry Seinfeld where he's talking about a poll that said people's number two fear is death, and their number one fear is public speaking. The logical conclusion is that if you have to go to a funeral, most people would prefer to be in the casket than to have to give the eulogy!

Dan

DHyslop said:
If you've given regular research talks you probably don't need either cv padding or well wishes :wink:

Oh yes I do every little bit helps!!!!

DHyslop said:
I really don't understand how myself or anyone else can be so nervous about public speaking. It is so irrational. I was watching Bill Clinton give an hour-long speech to a college group in Texas today on C-Span. Completely extemporaneous, without any notes or anything. I was in such awe until I realized that I, or anyone else, can do the exact same thing when we're talking to a friend and aren't under pressure. Completely psychological.

Yup.....still gives me the willies tho'! What's even worse is that I work in a Public Aquarium where I teach and give tours regularly AND I've nearly completed an interpretive guide course but talking about my own research to people in the know still freaks me out (and yes I know I talk myself into it!!!!)

DHyslop said:
It reminds me of a bit by Jerry Seinfeld where he's talking about a poll that said people's number two fear is death, and their number one fear is public speaking. The logical conclusion is that if you have to go to a funeral, most people would prefer to be in the casket than to have to give the eulogy!

Dan

Hmmmmmmmm not sure I'd go quite THAT far.......OTOH if the casket was comfy..............:biggrin2:

Jean

Hey Everyone!

I have a silly little question here: how formal do you think the dress code is going to be? I'm just an undergrad student, so initially I was assuming that I could get away with jean shorts and t-shirts (except for the more formal functions like reception and poster project presentation), especially considering how hot it's going to be, hopefully. However, after talking to my parents about it they said that in North America showing up in blue denim at any conferece, regardless of temperature, is not acceptable. Generally people down under seem to be a little more relaxed and laid back (at least the kiwi's were) so now I'm really, royally confused. Please advise (hehehe :lol: ).

Cheers,
Your clueless Canuck!

I think you could get away with a nice button-up, collared shirt and some khaki pants. Then again I'm a geo guy so I'm used to a little less formal dress code.

If you ever go to a paleontology conference, you can tell at first glance who's a geologist and who's a zoologist, because half of the people are wearing blue jeans or khakis, the other half are in suit and tie. You can also get a margarita in every poster session.

Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back