Cephalopod Evolution

gjbarord

Sepia elegans
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Hi Everyone,

I am writing a review on Cephalopod Evolution for a class and was wondering if anyone had any really good references that I might not know of. I have the recent paper by Kroger et al and a few other recent ones but wanted to get others' opinions on papers to check out as well.

Thanks!

Greg

Can't help much here but there are a couple of octopus fossil pieces we have seen that might at least give you a few references or names that will help find the original papers:

This is one Phil Eyden wrote that lives on TONMO.

The Lebanon octo fossil that dated octopuses back further than thought as well as showing little in the way of evolution (this is an press type release but it is one that at least has some names attached that might be useful if you have not already researched the original paper).

Most recently, the extraction of melanin from a fossil shows little evolution of the ink (again a press release).

There was one other about a critter that might or might not have been ceph related (Nectocaris pteryx) and likely useless unless you are including a, we keep guessing and adding to what we know kind of paragraph.

These might not be much help but may give you additional references :biggrin2:

I did a paper on this topic too (unfortunately, my prof was of the odd opinion that cephalopods do not exhibit any evolution, so I failed the paper)... better luck to you!

Most of the references I found were directed to specific parts of specific speices which I thought were of an evolutionary advantage (eg. loss of shell, acute eyesight, jet propulsion, camoflauge... etc.) None of the sources really talked about evolution per se.

Best of luck to you though... let me know if you want me to share some of the sources I found on any of those topics.

Not mentioned is the Treatise on Invert. Paleo.; it has a good overview of the evolution of the various inverts. After a perusal, Part K, vol. 3 has a section on evolution.

Greg,
You probably don't need this now but Starvos latest post on upcoming events has an abstract that ends in this statement and may be useful in the future:

In summary, fitting the idea of the embodied organization of behavior, our results show how the octopus' distinctive morphology has led to the evolution and/or self-organization of special anatomical and functional organization of both the central and the peripheral nervous systems

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back