Ceph = Geek?

>cephalopods (obviously)
>lizards (I have a bearded dragon)
>Renaissance and late Medieval instrumental music (I have a shawm, kortholt, recorder, and rackett, the shawm and the rackett I made 'cause I didn't have any money left...)
>carnivorous plants (I can keep Nepenthes alive, but still kill Venus Fly Traps.I blame it on lack of sphagnum...)
>moss and lichen collecting (If you're ever in Palo Alto, CA, and you see a highschool-aged kid with a 6-foot lichen-encrusted branch go by, that's me...)

Please tell me I'm not weird. Actually, I like it. It keeps highschool interesting...

well i used to collect acient egyptian and mesopotanian writings and to some degree artifacts ( does that count) but cephs have replaced that to some degree, im not a real big computer fan as i mostly dont understand them, even though i use them quite frequently.

Yeah, actually it's really weird: my brother went into the whole computer thing, programming and all, and I just decided that strange biology, strange music, and strange languages was my thing. So now I guess I can teach cuttlefish to play shawm in Japanese :roll:

What a coincidence! I'm learning hieratic and old persian cuneiform. Hieratic is harder, though.

Which reminds me that I completly forgot languages in my list. I am currently learning, in addition to learning the above languages, I am learning:

>Japanese.
>Chinese
>modern Persian. Originally, I tried to learn Arabic, but decided to switch to a language where only the verbs are irregular...
>Tha'zhot'kriil. In a true fit of geekiness, I made my own language. It has 2000 words and it's own grammer...

Don't ask how I have time for all of this. Some things should only be known when the stars align...

Architeuthoceras said:
What I wouldnt give to find a cephalopod footprint fossil :cool2:

to be honest, i posted it just to see what kind of reaction there would be from you and phil.... i didn't anticipate a right proper and regular explosion of comments...

Fini said:
Dog scootering is like mushing, but with a two wheel scooter. Basically you use all of the same gear; harnesses, tugline, dogs."

Not all dogs require the scooter. I remember a time, ( in 1979, I think,) when we were at Travis AFB, which was one of the years when No. Ca. got massive amounts of rain. I wanted to take our Siberian Husky out for some exercise, and since a whole lot of the area was flooded, I decided to take him to the running track on base. We had just barely gotten going when he spotted a gopher popping up out of it's hole and decided to go after it. It was so muddy and slippery that when he took off my feet slipped out from under me and I became the dogsled. You NEVER let go of the leash with a husky, so I hung on until he decided that something was wrong and stopped running. I had been dragged through this muddy slurry until the only place that wasn't covered with mud was the space behind my glasses. One of the runners came to see if I was ok, but he was laughing and crying so hard that if I hadn't been he wouldn't have been able to do anything about it anyway. When I made it to my feet and cleaned off my glasses I could see a half a dozen guys collapsed and howling. :roflmao: Glad it was all so entertaining. :roll:

That would have been - I'm pretty sure - February 1982 - the year the Travis duck pond flooded over the intersection and the pond and canal became this massive sea that extended through the cyclone fencing up the arroyo to the North as far as the eye could see. I love major flooding (from a safe elevation). Glad I moved to Tucson. Been an awe-inspiring season for it so far. Hope it goes on another month or two, but it probably won't.

Oh yeah, I remember what you looked like when you got home from that little human sleigh-ride. It was pretty funny, really. :lol:

Dogscootering isn't without it's own pitfalls, but you really went for a ride. Luckily I've not had them drag me yet. I've got a samoyed and a sibe. They are great, and I know exactly what you mean about not letting go of the leash.

erich orser said:
That would have been - I'm pretty sure - February 1982 - the year the Travis duck pond flooded over the intersection and the pond and canal became this massive sea that extended through the cyclone fencing up the arroyo to the North as far as the eye could see. I love major flooding (from a safe elevation). Glad I moved to Tucson. Been an awe-inspiring season for it so far. Hope it goes on another month or two, but it probably won't.

Oh yeah, I remember what you looked like when you got home from that little human sleigh-ride. It was pretty funny, really. :lol:

Yep, you're right. Come to think of it we didn't get Aleut until '81.

I think it is amazingly intersting when people list their hobbies. Alot can be learned about someone from their interests, I always complained that my wife needs more hobbies, but she always says I have enough for both of us.

(Mine: Cephs, aquarium schematics/building, colorful ricordia and zoas, big dogs, short cats, dog showing, ju jitsu, racquetball, r/c car racing, reptiles, freshwater bichirs, customizing knives, collecting damascus steel knives, computer graphics, paintball, golf, dark age of camelot (MMORG), medieval faires (yes, I can dress the part-sword, armor etc.), graphic novels, mountain biking, stunt kiting, hypnotism.)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back