Ceph/Deep Sea-inspired music

Octomatt

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks -

Thought I'd share a very interesting bit of music with the TONMO community. I have long been a fan of Gothic musician OMEWENNE. She is currently located in Amsterdam and is recording a double-length album of music inspired by the deep sea. The album has been in the works for quite some time now, and I'm not sure when it will see completion/distribution. However, you can go to www.mp3.com/omewenne and check out two of her songs, "Nautilus" and "Waves." Omewenne's music is VERY different from what you'd hear on top 40 radio, and is definately an aquired taste. You can learn more about Omewenne at www.omewenne.com. Unfortunately, there isn't much of her music available to the public. Her most recent offering was a tribute to the late goth rocker Rozz Williams on the Rozz Williams Tribute album "The Tongue Achieves the Dialect" available through www.darkvinyl.de in Germany. (This is a bit shameless, as I too have a track on that record.)

Anyway, take a listen...

:band:

Octomatt

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
Hey!

That's really good. It sounds like the Sisters of Mercy crossed with early Cure. It sounds like it should have been recorded twenty-years ago-but hey, I always loved Goth.

BTW, Fields of the Nephilim recorded 'The Watchman' back in 1988. 'Cthulhu Calls!' quoth Carl McCoy.

(About time I found a life.....)

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
well, if you include lovecrafty stuff, you could throw the band Gwar into this topic..im not a huge fan but some of their stuff isnt bad.... among their "mythos" is reference to a 'cuttlefish of cthulhu' which is in line with a long ago post of mine regarding the phallic nature of some cephs...

Clem

Architeuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
North Carolina's own Squirrel Nut Zippers recorded a tune called "The Kraken" on their album Perennial Favorites.

Melissa

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter
Reaction score
The Squirrel Nut Zippers are lots of fun, more country swing/rockabilly than big band. The music has its roots in the same things as big band and big band is one of its roots, but SQN have a much more rock feel. It's all swing danceable, too.

Melissa

Clem

Architeuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
The SNZ's are awfully prickly about being classified, especially with regards to Swing. Say "swing" around them, and they'll swing at you. I'd say they had more in common with New Orleans jazz, but that still doesn't cover them. I was lucky enough to see them perform at UNC Chapel Hill's stadium on a Fourth of July. Jazz you can pogo to.

If you want to give them a listen, their album Hot is a great introduction.
Fierce party music.

Clem

Architeuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully, they've gotten over their bad selves.

:band: - :x = :meso:

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
imagine that, the squirrel nut zippers in chapel hill... :) i think big band/swing fit them more than jazz....hot is imho their best album.... but that's just my 2.4 yen...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sss636281

Mobile app users
Latest mobile user

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak