[Ceph Care Article]: DIY Skimmer

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by tonmo, Jun 8, 2003.

1. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

TONMO.com member Lawfish has contributed detailed instructions on how to make a skimmer for your octopus tank. These do-it-yourself instructions are accompanied by close to 50 photos and diagrams!

This article contains all the information you need to make your own skimmer, including an section devoted to acrylic basics. Lawfish is standing by in the Tank Setup and Maintenance forum to field any questions or input. :)

DIY Skimmer

Great thanks to Lawfish for this generous contribution to the community.

2. WhiteKiboko

WhiteKiboko Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

good work....slightly outside my current capabilities but might come in handy in the future....

3. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

Well, i think that is the best outline for a DIY skimmer i have seen on the net, well done!!! :)

4. lawfish

lawfish GPO Registered

Thanks Colin:

Thats high praise indeed. :rainbow: Let me know if you see any areas in the article that could be improved.

George

5. Jeff8081

Jeff8081 Larval Mass Registered

Thanks for the DIY protein skimmer plans. I plan on building one in the next week or so but, I have a couple questions. My current setup:
    90 gal DS tank with 1 1/2 inch overflow drain pipe, 1 inch emergency drain and 1 inch return. 29 gal sump

1. Can this skimmer be plumbed straight out on my overflow instead of using a feed pump.
    2. If I can plumb from my over flow would you recommend a recirculating pump?
    3. What would you say this skimmer is rated for?

6. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

hi @Jeff8081, thanks for joining TONMO!

This thread was from 2003... old school! :smile: Members @lawfish and @Colin haven't been around for a while, but maybe tagging them as I've done here will help :smile2:.