Ceph Arts and Crafts by Tonmo Members

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I thought I'd start this thread to give us a place for Tonmo members to post their ceph creations (arts and crafts). I'll be posting here too.

Just to start, here are a few things I did earlier - a painted octopus box, and a tiny cast silver octopus, about 1" across. I had to make a wax model and use molten silver to create the tiny octopus.

Right now I'm experimenting with metal clay (bronze and silver) and expect to make cephy things before long.

Nancy

Nicely done, Nancy! Will you be taking orders for the silver octos? Do you do any jewelry? I've also been keeping my eye out for an octopus mug. A painted on octo would be good enough but I was thinking it'd be cool to have one where the octopus was the handle of the mug. Feel free to use my ideas (then sell items to me)!

sedna;149450 said:
Nicely done, Nancy! Will you be taking orders for the silver octos? Do you do any jewelry? I've also been keeping my eye out for an octopus mug. A painted on octo would be good enough but I was thinking it'd be cool to have one where the octopus was the handle of the mug. Feel free to use my ideas (then sell items to me)!

See Ceph Items and Jewelry thread... Ceph items and jewelry collection...

Sedna, I don't really plan to have a mold made of the silver octopus and have multiples made (although I could). My little silver octopus just sits here and watches me while I work on my laptop.

Instead, I'm learning to work in bronze clay (which is beautiful) and hope to eventually have some cephy jewelery and other items to sell. These can be more reasonably priced because it's not precious metal. Most likely octopus pendants will be the first ceph project.

Nancy

I was confused about this until I took a course in metal clay. Metal clay is the generic term for metal powders mixed with a binder, which can be fired like clay and the binder burns off, leaving the metal. It can replace casting for some uses.

PMC (Precious Metal Clay) is one of the two major brands of metal clay. The other is Art Clay. Both groups make a variety of clay, and there are other sources of metal clay, too. Right now, the bornze clay must be fired in a metal container, embedded in charcol (to keep oxygen away from the metal). New clays are being developed and the old ones are coming out in forms easier to use. With the price in in precious metals, the base metal clays such as copper and bronze are very attractive. I happen to think that bronze is one of the most beautiful metals and bronze clay takes on various patinas when fired, including a rainbow patina.

It's fun to experiment with. You need a kiln, but very few tools and accessories, and it doesn't take up much space. I keep everything I need to work with (except my kiln_ in a tote bag and on a tray, so I can set up in the diningroom and work for a few hours, then put it away.

Right now I'm working with bronze clay, but I'll try the new copper clay soon. Silver clay seems to be the standard, and most courses are for work with silver clay.

I've attached a photo of a 20 inch necklace, with a toggle closing and charm (non-ceph) to give you an idea of what can be done.

Nancy

I have been creating octopus jewelry out of polymer clay for a few months and love it! I sell it on etsy and have had some success with it. You are more than welcome to go to my site and check it out or even request a custom item!
My shop:
BlissfulEarthJewelry - Etsy
blue-ringed-octopus-with-beach-glass

imoonraini,
Welcome to TONMO! Very nice work and I will send a link to my kids as a Xmas suggestion :biggrin2:.

One small issue now that you have joined us though. Octopuses do not have tentacles. Tentacles are the two long appendages that you see on squid and cuttle fish that shoot out to grasp food. The other suckered appendages are arms :wink:

I have added your boutique to our Ceph Stuff on Etsy thread in the Markplace forum so Xmas shopper/wishlist makers will see it.

Poulpes à Moustaches = )

Hi there !

I started sewing about a year ago, working with recycled clothes. I dont have any website or etsy boutique but I thought I could post some pictures of my octopus plushes here = ) I sell them for kids (and keep some for myself too, being a big child haha)

They're all called Octave ^^

Attachments

• conv_297694.jpg
    conv_297694.jpg
    902.4 KB · Views: 164
  • conv_297695.jpg
    conv_297695.jpg
    672.7 KB · Views: 167
I wasn't sure which thread to share these in. But I paint and make silly little cephalopod cards that I send to friends. Here's some pics.

Attachments

• conv_300743.jpg
    conv_300743.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 116
  • conv_300744.jpg
    conv_300744.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 138
  • conv_300745.jpg
    conv_300745.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 146
  • conv_300746.jpg
    conv_300746.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 127

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back