• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

cclimation problems?

can anyone help. today and twice before during the drip line process my new octos started showing stress arm curling fast movements and then heavy breathing then dying w/in 20 mins.today it happend again the same thing but this time i used a new critter carrierw/liverock and i used the water from a tank that alresdy houses a brierius that is doing fine. i was going to keep them in the same tank w/a divider i put in.i had the drip line going at a drip a second and i watch the temp. could it be the ph. making them stress so bad that it kills them? i have a bi-pedal that bearly made it 2 weeks ago the same problem. i was driping him into my past on bimac tank. he lived about 14 months. but i almost lost the bi-pedal but hes ok now but came very close to losing him also. can anyone help me out? if i cant figure this problem out ill have to give up octo keeping to be fair to them.

Jimmie, what is the pH reading of the water you're using for acclimation? And in the bag with the new octopus?

You need to watch your water parameters carefully.

Nancy

Nancy;123046 said:
Jimmie, what is the pH reading of the water you're using for acclimation? And in the bag with the new octopus?

You need to watch your water parameters carefully.

Nancy
the ph. in the bag is about 7.0 and the tank about 80-8.2 but i thought by slow driping the ph would even out slowly? if the the two are different how do you correct the problem slow enough?

Did you buy the octopuses locally or were they shipped? If shipped, how long was the shipment period? Also, if shipped, who did you order it from? Where was it sent from and where to?

Considering the condition of the water in the bag upon arrival at your home, I'm thinking the octos might have been better off just immediately put into the tank. Not the ideal way of doing things but sometimes "slow" isn't the answer.

No way to have seen that coming. Hope you figure it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back