• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

cave building help

I'm trying to build a nice big cave that hopefully in the future my cuttlefish will use to lay eggs in. I want it to be approximately 10" high.

I've been trying with eggcrate for the past few hours and many many zip ties. It just doesn't seem sturdy enough though. Any suggestions?

I know Animal_Mother (and I think Paradox) went to acrylic rods, drilled the LR and cemented the two together.

Have you looked at artificial caves that could be disguised by covering with LR?

dwhatley;141639 said:
I know Animal_Mother (and I think Paradox) went to acrylic rods, drilled the LR and cemented the two together.

Have you looked at artificial caves that could be disguised by covering with LR?

Not interested in artificial caves.

I plan on using some rods / pvc for pillars but thought there might be an easier way for a cave.

I'll have to get some more 1/2" pvc tomorrow maybe build a frame and then zip tie the rock to it. For some reason I thought the eggcrate would work well but it just seems to fragile.

My cuttlefish picked a small place in the live rock to lay her eggs, every time I removed eggs, she laid more in the same place. As long as you have enough live rock, they will find a place for their eggs.

Gorilla Glue will hold LR to egg crate but I don't think zip ties will work because the amount of tension needed to hold an odd shape will likely snap the grid. I have a 3' x 10" wall that is partially epoxy and partly Gorilla Glued. I discoved the Gorilla Glue much too late into the process. I could have finished the project in a day in stead of a week, my downstairs tub would have been happier and my LR would have stayed alive. It has been in the tank for 4 or more years now so the LR is alive again but I worry about the parts that are epoxied, the Gorilla Glued parts are still sturdy with no rock losses.

dwhatley;141654 said:
Gorilla Glue will hold LR to egg crate but I don't think zip ties will work because the amount of tension needed to hold an odd shape will likely snap the grid. I have a 3' x 10" wall that is partially epoxy and partly Gorilla Glued. I discoved the Gorilla Glue much too late into the process. I could have finished the project in a day in stead of a week, my downstairs tub would have been happier and my LR would have stayed alive. It has been in the tank for 4 or more years now so the LR is alive again but I worry about the parts that are epoxied, the Gorilla Glued parts are still sturdy with no rock losses.

The problem isnt attaching the rock to the eggcrate, its that the eggcrate breaks under the weight of the rock.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back