• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

catching octopus

hey guys, i`m going down to an island in singapore where there are quite a bit of octopus, i`m intending to try to catch one for my aquarium , any idea on how to do this?

Having only seen one in situ, I can't help with recommendations but If you are successful, please include details of the capture experience in your journal. :smile:

You can search octopus 101 in youtube, the reason I won't post a link is because they show some things that most people on this forum would not like to see, but just pause it before then.

So, are you going scuba diving, snorkling or tide pools (where you will be standing out of the water and flipping rocks)?
I am sure if your doing either of the first two, you might have trouble getting them out of their dens. (you might not even see any during a day trip)
More info is needed!!! :smile:
(a bit of fish or squid you might be capable of luring them out)

Ask locals, go at night and look for middens is the short answer. . . there is an art to catching octopuses and it depends a lot on the species and location. Also make sure collecting is leagal and that you have thought through transportation.

MrED;141972 said:
So, are you going scuba diving, snorkling or tide pools (where you will be standing out of the water and flipping rocks)?
I am sure if your doing either of the first two, you might have trouble getting them out of their dens. (you might not even see any during a day trip)
More info is needed!!! :smile:
(a bit of fish or squid you might be capable of luring them out)

Hey, i`ll be going to a tide pool , which is pretty shallow, and i`ve heard alot of people seeing octopus there, also it will be a day trip, but i really hope i`ll be able to catch one!

ceph;141993 said:
Ask locals, go at night and look for middens is the short answer. . . there is an art to catching octopuses and it depends a lot on the species and location. Also make sure collecting is leagal and that you have thought through transportation.

Hey, collecting species in singapore is legal so long as it is legal to fish, cause in singapore, as long it is legal to fish, it doesnt matter what you catch, you will be allowed to keep it, also transportation is very easy, cause its just a 15 min ferry ride away from singapore, and when i arrive at singapore , its just a 5 min drive to my house :biggrin2: singapore is really small! even from one end to another its just an hour drive! hahah

I think Ceph was thinking about the logistics in addition to the distance. For instance if you are walking a bucket with a lid will work but to hold the octopus upon capture but if you are snorkeling and successfully catch an octo, what do you do with it? Biting it at the eyes is not an option to quiet an animal you are not planning for dinner so you need something that you can bring into the water and swim with that will contain the octopus until you get back to shore. A child's circular float with a length of rope might work well to hold a bucket and lid but a net would likely be problematic.

dwhatley;142012 said:
I think Ceph was thinking about the logistics in addition to the distance. For instance if you are walking a bucket with a lid will work but to hold the octopus upon capture but if you are snorkeling and successfully catch an octo, what do you do with it? Biting it at the eyes is not an option to quiet an animal you are not planning for dinner so you need something that you can bring into the water and swim with that will contain the octopus until you get back to shore. A child's circular float with a length of rope might work well to hold a bucket and lid but a net would likely be problematic.

hmm, well i dont think i`ll be snorkling as i dont have the gear, i`m actually going there to just spend the day there with my friends, but upon researching on the place that i`m going to , i`ve heard alot of people commenting on seeing multiple octopus there and that its a common sighting, so i decided to try my luck to catch the octopus, as i said i wont be snorkling or diving or anything but will only be at the shallow tide pool. yupp :smile:)

Good luck and have fun!! I am guessing most of the sighting were in the evening (or an hour or so before dark). Sometimes in the tide pools, you might spot one looking out of the den at you. :smile: More that likely it will only be the eyes that are moving to take a curious look.
If your there during the night and have a nice flashlight, you will probably see them on the hunt.
(by no means am I a mr. know it all) I have just lived in some great places and have hunted them before and enjoy to just stand still for hours watching all the critters come out from hiding. :smile:
If your flipping over rocks, make sure you wait a minute or so, then watch for movement on rocks and in the sand area. Once they feel out of place, they will move, even if your hovering over them. (be careful placing the rocks back the way they were)
Let us know how you do!!!

If you see one when you flip a rock over and it goes under another rock you cant get it from open a clam and set it there. It will eventually reach out and grab it and then you can get it. Also just keep flipping rocks and you will find something.

It might be a good idea to buy a small battery operated air pump and put a hole in the lid for an air line. Even though you live fairly close, you don't know how long it will have to be in the bucket before you get it home. This assumes success on your first attempt, of course, but a small air pump does not cost much and is a good thing to have with you anytime you might be collecting.

thanks everyone for the advices, i`ll let you all know how it goes ! im going tomorrow ! pretty excited, but having doubts to if i`ll see one cause i`ve leave before 5 pm in the evening because the last very departs at 5, and i dont want to be stuck on the island cause its supposedly haunted! it used to be a quarrentine island for people with leprosy and worldwar2 or something like that, basically it used to be a quarrentine island. hahah

dwhatley;142048 said:
It might be a good idea to buy a small battery operated air pump and put a hole in the lid for an air line. Even though you live fairly close, you don't know how long it will have to be in the bucket before you get it home. This assumes success on your first attempt, of course, but a small air pump does not cost much and is a good thing to have with you anytime you might be collecting.

yupp, i`ll do as you say, i`ll go down to my lfs and purchase one later!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back