• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

catching live food?

blljzy912

Cuttlefish
Registered
what does everyone think about catching there own food for your octopus? ive been at manny so cal beaches were food is easy to gather but dont know if it will harm the octopus. is it a good idea or stick to store bought.
long beach, huntington beach ect. ect.

Pollution is the only concern and we only have one reported case where there was a tie back to a problem with crabs collected from a particular area.

Ok cool but I think I will probably gather in the nicer beaches even though its a good 45 min drive but who should I gather other than the normal crabs that are all over the jettys. Are sand crabs a good idea

Collect a few and see if the octo will eat the sand crabs. Any crabs, clams, scallops, or shrimp are fine but each animal is different on what it WILL eat. The do seem to prefer a change of diet and variety seems to be a key so even if an animal refuses food (especially if it is new to the aquarium) go ahead and try the refused food again in a couple of weeks.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back