• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Catching and Sucessfully raising

taylors

Hatchling
Registered
Ok im here on the Alabama coast right now and have seen people catch a few octopus. I am a sucessful reefer as i now have a 210 and a 55 gallon reef tanks and the Ichthyologist i am i broght a airiated five gallon bucket. Now i have a few ten gallon tanks laying around and thought of bringing home a small octopus. Now i know they will get larger and if i need to i can find a larger tank but what are the requirments to keep a octopus alive in a aquarium? What is the most afficant way of catching them?

thank you for your time

Taylor S.

taylors said:
Ok im here on the Alabama coast right now and have seen people catch a few octopus. I am a sucessful reefer as i now have a 210 and a 55 gallon reef tanks and the Ichthyologist i am i broght a airiated five gallon bucket. Now i have a few ten gallon tanks laying around and thought of bringing home a small octopus. Now i know they will get larger and if i need to i can find a larger tank but what are the requirments to keep a octopus alive in a aquarium? What is the most afficant way of catching them?

thank you for your time

Taylor S.

The most efficient way of capture? Well the only two ways I know are
1) take a smooth blunt stick (it cant be sharp or it could hurt the octo, I use the handle of my net) and then stick it into the octos den. The octo should wrap its tentacles around the stick and try and get out of the den, then you grab it and bag it.

2) Use traps.

ok so how do i find a octo hole. im in a lagoon right now so how do i find their hole? will it be along the bank or in deeper water?

If you have easy access to this area of ocean I would suggest small necked pots.
Get a pot that is shaped with a smaller neck on it like a short wine jug and put it in the water in the middle of a bunch of live rock in a reef setting and come back in a week.

Do several in different areas that look good for octo habitat. The Octo will use one of these as a home and you can just pull it up to the surface.

taylors said:
ok so how do i find a octo hole. im in a lagoon right now so how do i find their hole? will it be along the bank or in deeper water?

Could be anywhere... Mostly in rocky areas or on the shelf. Look for empty shells in masses. Thats a sure sign of an octo.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back