• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Catching an octo in NJ

I don't know of any octopuses that would be easy to catch in NJ. I grew up going to the Jersey Shore during the summers (Barnegat Bay area, between seaside and pt. pleasant), and regularly fished and crabbed the beaches, lagoons, bay, and Manasquan inlet. Alas not once did I see or hear of an octopus being brought up. Every once in a while you might find Amphiocotpus burryi coming up with the gulf stream. Some local divers might have a better idea about this. Good luck!

I've spent many summers at the beach in NJ (Long Beach Island) and have never seen one. I'm very interested if you happen to have any luck though!

When I ordered my first octopus from OctoPets many moons ago, I also ordered some baby clams as food. These are very plentiful on the NJ beach. Just go to the water line and you'll see them washed up onto the beach each wave. They'll wiggle to get seated back into the sand. This could be good food for a small octopus, but'll it'll need something bigger once it grows.

Good luck!

Yes, the clams sure are plentiful here, I am about 45 minutes north of LBI and I will be sure to let everyone know how I make out. However I am really almost sure that I wont find anything.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back