catch your own?

dekim28

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
how do you plan to find them

loking for tips,we usually catch our own fish and crabs,but rarely see octopus(did catch some baby squid once though)plan to go at night in a crab infested inlet(tidepool)got any pointers?

Venom

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
they're usuallu inside stuff
soda cans are good, conch shells, pieces of pipe, stuff like that
the easiest thing is just to walk around in a few feet of water and pick up 5 or 10 objects then set them out on the beach a few yards from the water and sit back and wait for a bit, see if anything comes out of them to head back to the water

-V

dekim28

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
will definately try that!i hear you can find them "hopping" from pool to pool in search of food if you have a flashlight?or do you think they would see you coming a mile a-way?and have you done this before?

L S

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
Did caught one among the tidepool in the late afternoon some years back. What caught my attention was the bobbing of the water from its breathing near where it was hiding. Thankfully it was a windless day, so quite easy to spot.

Good luck with your catch!

dekim28

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
thanks!any more tips will be appreciated.should be going next weekend,will let you know how it turns out

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
In the realm of the "this is not going to make me popular with this crowd" comments: I do know a very easy way to find octos in a tide pool...this is info from an indonesian fish collector I know, and it does work:
Pour urine into a tidepool. (ok, they just piss in it). for some odd reason, (maybe the change in chemical balance) cephs just rocket out of the hiding spots.
Disgusting? Yes. but it does work.
FYI. kids, don't try this at home!
Greg

dekim28

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
very unusual tip,but will try them all!sounds like a one shot deal that i will leave to my b-friend to perform.please keep the ideas coming,doubt i will catch one my first night out,but keeping my hopes up!only live 30mins. from beach so will be able to keep trying i guess.keep your fingers crossed for me

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimlyn

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards