caribbean octo from foster&smith? likely species?

Discussion in 'Sources for Cephalopods and Food' started by gpx1200, Sep 23, 2012.

1. gpx1200

gpx1200 GPO Registered

i was wondering if any one has bought one of the caribbean octos from f&s and what did you get?
    i know it's a gamble but i'm wondering what has been the norm in the past, i called today to see if i could get pics or a description of the specific animal but they did not call back tonite, hopefuly theyll call with some info in the morning. i mainly just don't want to get somthing nocturnal or an adult about to brood.

2. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

For the Caribbean species we have not seen a Norm like we do with the Indonesian species. It is very much a gamble.

3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I think we have only seen 2 Caribbeans when they have been ordered that way the others have been Indonesian. Dave got an O. mercatoris and I got a hummelincki but I believe both of ours were ordered from the Diver's Den and not from the generic pool. I don't think we have actually seen a Caribbean come from that group. As I understand it, these are actually brought in from a wholesaler and are never seen by the home office facility.

SealifeInc.net may still have an O. briareus if you are interested but you will have to check to be sure as I have not talked with them in a week.

4. gpx1200

gpx1200 GPO Registered

well i finaly got a reply from la, i asked for any descriptive info they could give me like markings or color around they eyes/suckers ect anything that might indicate species this is what i got
    Thank you for your interest in Dr's Foster and Smith's LiveAquaria. Our vendor
    currently has some of the green, tan and white Octopus available. We apologize
    that we are unable to guarantee a specific color of the specimen, should you
    place an order, as the items we offer come in assorted colors. You may request
    a specific color, however availability will depend on what is available when
    your order is filled. Our vendor tries their best to fill request, if possible.
    The only time that we can guarantee the coloration of an item we offer is if it
    is listed as that specific color.
    not much help so i guess ill wait for a more reliable source

5. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

:roflmao:OK, that is the funniest description I have heard given seriously (unless they were having fun with you) yet. We often see "bali", "brown","red" or "common" but "green", "white" and "tan" are new descriptions.

6. gpx1200

gpx1200 GPO Registered

i also sen't an e-mail to k&p but have not heard back yet