Care for Nautilus

Reaction score
Amazing photos! Terribly sorry to hear that it died...any ideas as to why? Must have been wonderful to have while it was alive. Where did you get it, by the by?

L S

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
I really did not why it died. Perhaps it was to do with the water or pressure. Got it from a LFS. I have it lucky coz we have a few well stocked LFS that I visit on a regular basis, and sometimes they do have very nice suprises. It's quite common to come across octopus here but none of the shop owner really have any clue what species they are.

Cheers
L S :D

Reaction score
I have never kept Nautilus, but see plenty of recently imported specimens. I'm working towards a custom built set up, In the mean time I'm finding as much info as I can.
Nautilus seem to be able to tolerate low water pressure, although captive hatched specimens survive less than a year, possibly due to lack of pressure. Obviously a deep tank to allow some vertical migration would be a benefit.
The biggest problem in my opinion with keeping a Nautilus is temperature. They normally occur in deep water, around 300m, and rarely come up above 100m This means although the areas they come are tropical the water is very cold. I know when specimens were collected for Waikiki aquarium they shipped them at close to freezing!
I often see Nautilus at a supplier I visit, as they are kept in tropical conditions they look unhappy. But occasionally the odd one seems to be OK. A healthy specimens will often have it's tenticles extended and can be quite active. See picture. If the Nautilus has it's hood permantly down, this is a bad sign.
Feeding a healthy Nautilus should not be a problem, the are primarily scavengers and should take dead prawns.
Hope this helps potential keepers.

J.Scott

stevesfish

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
i've never kept a Nautilus myself, but some years ago I worked for an aquarium in southern florida where we had a deep benthic exhibit including Nautilus for a while.

you are absolutely correct about the pressure. the aquarium had set up a very special tank with considerable amount of donor money. the tank provided several atomspheres of pressure and contained an airlock for feeding. unfortunately they had to keep it undecorated since cleaning was troublesome.

i realize that's a bit extreme for a normal person's home, but just thought i'd share. :smile:

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
Some of us eat them... Well, I've never had octopus... there was a time where I said I'd like to, but the longer I'm involved with this site, the more the thought of eating cephs creeps me out.

Still, I do enjoy a good squid ink linguine, or calamari from Ruth Crist's, for example... it's been a while though. :?

Nautilus? They're such rare creatures, I can't imagine they're on any restaurant's menus. But has someone eaten one? I bet they have...

A search turned up this interesting thread, though doesn't answer the question at hand...

http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/1997Nov/msg00302.html

um...

Architeuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps those bozos over at Fear Factor will get around to it. Live baby nautiluses, or something similarly atrocious.

Count me and Neil out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tginsbu

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean