• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Captive bred vs. wild caught

spinycheek

GPO
Registered
Do captive bred cuttles have the same behavior in captivity as a wild caught cuttle. We had a bandensis that was wild caught and it showed a kind of neurotic behavior by rubbing up and down on the glass after a couple months. I was just curious if an animal that has spent its whole life in an aquarium will do the same thing. I'd love to have another cuttle, but it was kind of sad watching the first one rub its face raw.

The only time I saw that behavior was with a wild caught animal. I have never seen it in tank raised animals. I would avoid wild caught adults, not only because of the behavior problems that may manifest, but also because they don't ship well. 50 - 100% mortality during shipping is not uncommon.

Well that's good news. I was originally planning on getting a cuttle egg, but the LFS had an adult one and they never get them in, I figured since I was one of few that had a dedicated tank ready to go, its chances were better with me than someone who just thought it would be a cool addition to their reef tank. Thanks for the reply! Next time I will only look at captive ones.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back