• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Can't afford a chiller

Even with a fan, running the skimmer only at night when it was cooler, and cranking down the airconditioner, I was only able to keep the tank at about 72 or 73 degrees. This is acceptable for a bimac, but requires a lot of top off and monitoring.

Nancy

What do you mean by water cooler.

FWIW, almost all attempts to create an aquarium chiller out of something that isn't an aquarium chiller fail.

I don't think that is going to work, as I believe that it either cools the water on demand, or has a small receiver that stays cooled. There is also the question of how to actually use it to cool tank water, and is it safe for saltwater. More importantly, these units are small for a reason, and are simply not built to cool any larger volume of water. In reefkeeping circles, every year someone wants to convert an old dorm fridge to a chiller, but it has never worked. :biggrin2:
IMO, you would be much better off trying to find a small used chiller for a couple hundred bucks.

You can also watch the buy/sell/trade pages at some of the online reef sites. Don't get your hopes up though, chillers are expensive and you're not the only person in the world trying to get a good deal.

Stange find on that link Dan, definitely too much time on his hands.

Ty, what I was trying to say is there is little hope of finding a cheap chiller unless you personally find someone giving up the hobby and anyone with a reasonably new chiller is not likely to be dumping equipment. We have tried eBay several times and always monitor it, "just in case" but the used chillers there go for close enough to what you can find new that it is worth the extra money for the warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back