• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Can you Identify this lighting system???

tImO

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Looking for someone who may be able to help me identify this light. It has no markings at all, manufacturer model nothing. I am needing to purchase a ballast for the halide portion of it.

Attachments

• conv_305316.jpg
    conv_305316.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 205
  • conv_305317.jpg
    conv_305317.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 199
  • conv_305318.jpg
    conv_305318.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 177
Yeah when i get home, it has power compacts in the front and back four sets of leds and the 250w halide in the middle, but when i get off work i will snap some underneath.

I assume you tried changing the bulb first, right? We have something similar (not the same though) and the bulb died earlier than we would have expected but the ballast was fine.

Also, if you open up the ballast compartment, you should see the specs on the ballast itself and it will likely be easier to google for the specs (keeping the dimensions in mind) than the light fixture manufacturer's part number.

Yess, the light is huge for this tank, but as it came with the setup when i bought it, I am going to use it on another tank and attemp to grow some corals. I will put a smaller one on this tank when i move it, if i can get the halide working.

As far as the bulb, i did replace it with the extra bulb that the seller sent, however i haven't tried a new one quite yet.

From what I have read (never sure about old wives tales though, even when seen in multiple places), the glass enclosing a halide bulb is very sensitive to finger grease and should never be handled without a glove (or paper towel). Supposedly this can cause them to burn out from spot overheating. It is my understanding that this is why household halides have a plastic shell (that also includes a reflector). Again, I am not sure how sensitive they really are but I get spousally (made that up :wink:) yelled at if it looks like I am going to touch one bare handed :biggrin2:

Again, I am not sure how sensitive they really

Very sensitive! I am speaking from lots of personal experience, not with aqariums but movie lights, which are the same bulbs. What happens is the oil from our fingers adheres to the glass, then when the bulb is turned on the oil boils and overheats the glasss and melts it causing a fatal bubble in the glass and sometime an actual explosion. I only had one explode. but many that bubbled. If you do touch one and realize it before turning it on all you have to do is wipe it down with alcohol wipes.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back