Can I touch my octopus?

sounds like 30gal is not nearly big enough...its either 30gal or a coffee can at the fish store at this point. meh...now I feel even worse about the whole situation...

What an animal is temporarily housed in at an LSF is not something you can use for comparison and the water exchange in most LFS set ups far exceeds the 29 gallon tank where he now resides. The 29 is too small and you will need to do something very, very soon. One inking event in a tank that small could be fatal, the water will pollute very quickly just from food consumption and waste production (while you are deciding what to do, daily water changes are recommended) and providing enough oxygen is not possible. This little guy will double in size in a month and needs more water volume to survive.

hmm

that would explain why I had to do a water change today. They said my numbers were off the charts and I needed to do a 50% water change ASAP. I think maybe they don't know much about octopuses? I don't know but they never said the tank was too small or anything.

So, now what? My choices are to sell him, let him go, or return him to the store I guess. Or freeze him like someone said but I def won't do that.

meh this sucks...

how big a tank should he be in
120 gallon is typically recommended for these. Vulgaris is the largest of the octopuses commonly kept by hobbyists. they have the potential to have a spread of over 3 feet.

Hard to say what the other one is. it could be another Vulgaris, but it may be a Hummelincki, being that it is showing no color or distinguishing marks, I'm just guessing based on arm to mantle ration and location. .

CaptFish;172478 said:
Most LFS are clueless.

Not an option.

I'm just across the alley from you, may I interest you in a shiny new octopus? :smile:

My girlfriend wanted to go to the zooo or aquarium anyway, I can make a trip out of it.

Welcome to one of the down sides of octopus keeping. Lack of knowledge about keeping octopuses runs high and you are one of the unfortunate ones put in an unrecoverable situation. You will need to do 50% water change daily just to try to keep enough O2 in the tank since your tank is already showing it can't handle anything close to the waste.

Please don't risk putting him back in the ocean. Dave's mention of euthanasia does not come lightly. With the water parameter issues, returning him to the LFS is likely the best option.

You should contact you LFS and find out if they will take it back. Or you could post it for sale, members here, as D mentioned, are always looking. But the sooner the better. It won't last long in it's current situation. It's hard to learn a lesson the hard way. Unfortunately this happens. I am sorry this happened you and the octopus but you can help it find a better home.
Do you have a skimmer? I worry it is not getting enough oxygen in your tank.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back