• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Can I keep a cuttlefish with Sea Apple

Milehigh

Hatchling
Registered
I will be getting a few sepia bandensis eggs this week. When the cuttlefish mature and are big enough, I'll be placing them in a 65 gallon tank that is connected to a reef system with 550 gallons of total capacity. The tank they're going in has soft corals, some snails and hermit crabs but no shrimp or fish. The only other occupant is a cucumarid pseudocolochrius "Sea Apple". Will the cuttlefish attack the Sea Apple?

I don't believe a cuttle would attack a sea cucumber of any sorts but I don't have any experience in that field as of yet.

My concern would be the potential toxicity of the sea apple.

AM didn't you have a tank meltdown due to cuke-nuke with a much less toxic cucumber I have never kept a sea apple (as interesting as they look) because of what I have read on reef forums.

Yeah. Lost many ponies to an unhappy cucumber. It acted strange for a few days, going everywhere bent backwards into a "U", climbing the glass (after scavenging the sand for months) and then I came home from work and found several seahorses dead on the sand, all surrounding a disemboweled cucumber. No idea why, nothing in the tank that would have harmed it, except maybe a powerhead, but then I would have assumed it would have been stuck to the powerhead instead of lying on the sand.

I'd heard of it happening, but never from anyone I know, so I assumed the odds were it wouldn't happen to my tank either... yeah.

Can I keep a cuttlefish with Sea Apple

Thanks for the feedback.

I work from home and the tank being discussed is directly infront of me. It also can immediately be disconnected from the rest of the system. That is why I put the sea apple in it. I also thought it would be a good place for cuttlefish because of the potential inking problem. I was hoping they could co exist, because the cuttlefish would not recognize the sea apple as food.

I guess I could build a protective acylic container to put the sea apple while leaving it in the tank. The sea apple rarely moves more than an inch a month. Then I could introduce the cuttlefish and watch what they do. Do you think this could work? If so, how long would you recommend leaving the sea apple in the container?

Cuttlegirl,

I'm so very pleased to hear from you. I know you're one of the most knowledgeable people around when it comes to cuttlefish.

Thank you for your input.

Milehigh

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back