• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

can i keep a cuttlefish in a 29g biocube?

:welcome: to TONMO

You could have one. but they are social animals and they do better with a comanion. plus you wont be able to breed them is one of the great parts of having cuttles.

What octopuses have you kept?

thanks for the fast reply,i had kept few blue rings,bimac,and my favorite wonderpus oct i had 4 of then from indo,i have a bimac now,,,,btw u from miami to i my know u i use to own vipreef then amaizing aquarium in bird road with i change the name to Rickysreef..

here is a bad quality video of the oct...

:silenced: oh jeez. You keep some species we advise against. also most of those species with the exeption of the bluering require a much larger tank, 55 gal. min.

I dont think what you have there is bimac. actually I hope its not because uit looks liek a warm water tank. Bimacs are from coastal Cali and they require cold water 55*-65*. Bimacs are great, and are the most sought after species we keep in aquariums but the problem is most people dont have the ability to get there tanks cold enough, into the 60s and colder, to keep one. and it is very hard to find ones that have been legally collected for sale.

The octopus in the video looks like O.hummelinki which looks vert similar to the Bimac but they are a Caribbean species. They ones the whole sellers here in FL sell seem to come from Haiti mostly.

Wunderpus....Please dont buy anymore of these. They come from a region of Indonesia that is environmental introuble due to overfishing. and it is suspected that they MAY be endangered. the fact is no one has done a recent population study on them, but the scientist that know the area advice that we stop trading them in the aquarium trade until we can setup a sustainable fishery for them. also they just dont seem to do well in aquariums which may be because most people put them in reef aquarium but they in fact live in areas with a muddy bottom.
Blue rings....really?! why? just because they are poisonous. LOL. We try to steer clear of these just because of the danger. a simple task like cleaning teh aquarium can become very dangerous and a lot of people just dont understand the danger. Death really does come in seconds, and there is no antidote. CPR and life support are your only chance but that usually comes too late.

OK sorry for seeming kind of negative and for throwing so much info at you, but its best to inform and educate people right off the bat and so you understand how the community feels about certain topics.

btw u from miami to i my know u i use to own vipreef then amaizing aquarium in bird road with i change the name to Rickysreef..

Cool. I live in N.E. Miami, east of Biscayne blvd, and just south of NE79th ST. I actual dont know that many LFSs in Miami, I've used Somethings Fishy in N.Miami for that past 10 years. before that i lived in Lake Worth, Jupiter, and Palm Beach. up there I used 'Jewels of the Sea'

55g no where u got that from i dont have a 55g the oct that i had before where in many diferents tanks....u right is not a bimac it is a O.hummelinki i googole and yes thats what i have.....the Wunderpus was in a 220g in my store they where sold after few weeks...and blue ring i know i know but i love those guys...i want onother one :smile: im really happy with my octopus now but i want to get into cuttlefish they are something else that will be my next pet if i can keep him in a 29g nano,i need to know witht one will be the right one for me to star....i wont ge it now i need to learn more before i get one thanks for all the info....

I think he assumed, like me, that you had kept all of those species in the 29g since you didn't say otherwise; he was saying they needed a 55g minimum.

I tried a cuttlefish in a 29 gallon. It worked, but not that well, I would suggest getting a bigger tank if possible so you can house 2 or 3 of them since they like companions.

And, tetradotoxin, although lethal, doesn't kill in seconds, you have a good 30 mins to 2 hours to get to a hospital.

spinycheek;184041 said:
you can house 2 or 3 of them since they like companions.

Yes, and a tip it helps to introduce each other when they're young or from the egg, because if you do this the chances of your cuttles fighting each other significantly reduces.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back