Can I feed my pet octopus frozen bait food?

Discussion in 'Sources for Cephalopods and Food' started by ai4ns, Aug 26, 2014.

1. ai4ns

ai4ns Larval Mass Registered

Hi There! I own a blue ring octopus (named Cthulhu - attached photo) and was wondering whether you could feed it frozen bait food? I have a feeling that it has a lot of crap in it (and chances are it will stink the tank up) so I have avoided it but was just wondering has anyone tried using it? and if it is actually safe to use?

I feed my octopus only live food and he has pipi's and small hermits but just thinking just as a backup if I run out of live food?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Where are you located? I would think that frozen seafood for humans might be safer (then again, maybe not :roll:). You could rinse the bait in some of your sea water first.

3. ai4ns

ai4ns Larval Mass Registered

Thanks for your reply! I am located in Sydney Australia. Smaller frozen animals are bit hard to find - especially small ones. What would the best frozen food to buy from seafood stores considering the octopus is rather small (and i would like to feed my dward lionfish the same)

Thanks