• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Can I Buy this Octo?

SueAndHerZoo

Wonderpus
Registered
Please? :read:

I was online placing an order of fish from NY Aquatics and, as usual, I scanned his "Cephalopod" section and he has a baby octo for sale, described only as "Bali". I'm going to try to post the photo that he has on his site so hopefully it will attach to this post.

As you know I raised some BiMac hatchlings for several months and would LOVE to try again. But since you know a lot more about the different types available, perhaps you can offer your insight as to whether or not this would be a wise purchase or not? Hopefully it's not a blue-ring, but if I could find out more specifically what type it is I will better know which tank to put him in should I purchase him.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• conv_305211.jpg
    conv_305211.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 155
I have no clue what species, but definitely looks young (vs adult dwarf). I would not put much faith in even a location from this supplier and the term Bali

Going down the list of normal possibilities:
IMO the arms are not proportionate for blue ring (too long and thin).

It almost looks a lot like O. briareus but I think not because of the color (they can show this color but IME they stay white and only color up when afraid and then only momentarily) but primarily, O. briareus show distinct bright blue around the eyes at this size.

The little noturnal macropus that is found in Indonesia can look very O. briareus like in some colorations but I have never seen one this small to know what the very young ones look like. If it is indonesian (ie Bali) I think this is where I would put my nickle (but no more of a bet than that). I really liked keeping this species. I have kept two, both were interactive but they are very nocturnal.

The roundish mantle could suggest O. vulgaris (found virtually everywhere) but, again I question the arm length as this is initially a pelagic species and the arms take awhile to catch up.

I would say it is NOT an Abdopus (aculeatus or one of the other similar in this group) because of the thickness of the mantle.

So, you have my, I have no clue observations. Personally, I think it is adorable and would go for it but I have a variety of tanks and can house most anything that normally shows up :biggrin2:

Order placed. :biggrin2:

I looked into actually driving there to pick up the livestock but between the gas and it being a holiday weekend (traffic) I'm better off having the package shipped. I opted to go the extra expense and have it shipped on Friday for a Saturday delivery so that I can be there to receive the package and immediately start acclimating (as opposed to receiving it on a weekday where they have to remain in the box till I get home from the office).

I'll post pix Saturday when he/she arrives.

Here we go again! :wink:
Sue

Almost anyone who orders on-line is an automatic participant :wink:

To be fair, I sometimes have an advantage because my primary supplier can be pummeled about the head and shoulders until I receive a photo (and, of course I know where it originated) BUT, Maya was supposed to be O. maya (was O. hummelincki), Puddles was expected to be A.aculeatus (or at least Abdopus) and Ziggy was supposed to be Mexican (she was Indonesian). It took several months to decide LittleBit was O. vulgaris and not O. joubini and I HAD advance photos.

I could really care less what "kind" it is except that knowing the type will help me obtain the info and knowledge to best care for him/her. Just do me a favor, please, and let me know (once I can get pictures) if it's a blue-ring or some other creature that can potentially kill me. There are a few things in my life I'd be willing to die for, but this hobby isn't one of them. :goofysca:

During my time on TONMO, we have only had two people post about accidentally getting blue rings. One was Colin (former staff and actually before my time) and he had ordered directly from the wholesaler (all died during shipment) and the other is a suspect invalid post of a purchase from an LFS. I also know of an unposted incident where an LFS in FL received a dozen or so that MOTE euthenized. Your chances are pretty good at not receiving one but, as Roy points out, we know so little about octo venom that it is wise not to temp a problem. Don't look at my journals though, as I am not so cautious. I do know, usually, which species I am dealing with, don't keep exotics and keep my fingers - mostly - away from the beak :oops:. I have been nipped by dieing, senescent animals - never with venom - that did not want to leave my hand and be returned to the substrate. The octo bites thread is a good place to spend a little reading time.

Ready to Play?

My baby octo arrived today..... any guesses what I got?
Sue

Attachments

• conv_299922.jpg
    conv_299922.jpg
    695.4 KB · Views: 145
  • conv_299923.jpg
    conv_299923.jpg
    680.3 KB · Views: 158
  • conv_299924.jpg
    conv_299924.jpg
    638.3 KB · Views: 156
  • conv_299925.jpg
    conv_299925.jpg
    620.8 KB · Views: 119
How big is it? (mantle size of grape,golf ball, egg, ...) and roughly how long are the arms (2,3,4,... times the mantle). It does look a lot like the original photo but that one's mantle appears smaller than a dime.

I should have put something in the photos to give an idea of size... sorry. Mantle is a small grape. Tentacles are maybe twice the length of the mantle?

Really hard to say - I didn't see much of him because i acclimated him with a piece of live rock so he could hide and feel safe and that's exactly what he did. And now that he's free in the tank, I haven't seen him since I put him in there. When he was relaxed his tentacles were probably twice as long as his mantle but when he was traveling across the container the tentacles got much longer and thinner. Hopefully he'll make an appearance in the next day or two and I can get a better look (and photos) of him.

Sue

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back